Join now - be part of our community!

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

I have a ZD9 and we was surpos to get the full Google Assistant update last year. But it's still not here.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16617780/sony-android-tv-google-assistant

From Nov 17 2017

"Sony says the 2016 editions of the XBR - Z9D, XBR - X800D, X BR - X750/X700D, and all 2017 Sony Android TVs will have the full Google Assistant experience after downloading the software update, which is available today"

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Call me crazy but I would rather see the platform being improved in otherways, with performance tweaks and other such things than adding more bloat on top of what is already bloated which I know is very unlikely.

I don't completely agree. While it is true that Sony Android TV is really bad with respect to performance and stability and fixing those issues should be #1 in priority, also the way we approach our media on Android TV is a total mess. We basically have to deep dive into every app in order to search and browse content. Wouldn’t it be cool to ask things like ‘show me new/top/recommended/most recently watched movies/TV shows’ and it would return results from any installed service? Content discovery done right… Or just say Play Stranger Things and the OS would pick the right app and continue from where you stopped watching. And I am not talking science-fiction here.

Maybe in Europe its all about the 2018 models now, wasn't there another German article about the 2018 models also getting HDR10+?

Nothing but fake news.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

According to the latest news from today/yesterday, Google Assistant is only coming to some select 2018 Sony TVs in Europe, see FlatpanelsHD announcement. No clue who makes decisions over at Sony. Their management really needs to be replaced.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yup thats what the link I posted said.

profile.country.GB.title
olders82

I received the Google Assistant on my XE9005 yesterday. I'm running the 6.5603 firmware.

Assistant works OK but doesn't seem quicker than opening Netflix via the remote and is a lot slower than using my Google Home to cast to my Chromecast. Unsurprisingly it won't search or play Amazon Prime content.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

How do you know that it is Assistant already?

profile.country.GB.title
olders82

The logo has changed in the top left corner of the screen. When I selected it I was asked to setup the assistant. 

I can now ask the TV to turn on my Hue lights or control my thermostat. Things I couldn't do with the old voice search .

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@olders82 wrote:

The logo has changed in the top left corner of the screen. When I selected it I was asked to setup the assistant. 

I can now ask the TV to turn on my Hue lights or control my thermostat. Things I couldn't do with the old voice search .

My ZD9 has the latest software v6.5603.  I don't get asked to setup the assistant even after a TV reset!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Kuschelmonschter  schrieb:

According to the latest news from today/yesterday, Google Assistant is only coming to some select 2018 Sony TVs in Europe, see FlatpanelsHD announcement. No clue who makes decisions over at Sony. Their management really needs to be replaced.

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Sony/Google just made the assistant available on my xd83 in the UK. It works perfectly with Netflix or YouTube, it can answer to certain questions. However, it can't open apps like Video app or BBC iplayer. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Itom86 wrote:

Sony/Google just made the assistant available on my xd83 in the UK. It works perfectly with Netflix or YouTube, it can answer to certain questions. However, it can't open apps like Video app or BBC iplayer. 

How do you install this, I wonder if I don't have it because I have switched off auto updates?