Join now - be part of our community!

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

I have a ZD9 and we was surpos to get the full Google Assistant update last year. But it's still not here.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16617780/sony-android-tv-google-assistant

From Nov 17 2017

"Sony says the 2016 editions of the XBR - Z9D, XBR - X800D, X BR - X750/X700D, and all 2017 Sony Android TVs will have the full Google Assistant experience after downloading the software update, which is available today"

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Itom86 wrote:

Sony/Google just made the assistant available on my xd83 in the UK. It works perfectly with Netflix or YouTube, it can answer to certain questions. However, it can't open apps like Video app or BBC iplayer. 

Was it a firmware update or a Google store offering?

People with a XE9005 can control lots of things.

profile.country.GB.title
olders82

It was pushed automatically but I'm not sure if it was Sony or Google. It's definitely not on the Play store so I suspect Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Same here. I didn't do anything, it just appeared on my home screen saying "set up Google assistant now". 

I can open most apps with it, even third party apps, like kodi. However, it doesn't work with BBC iPlayer or the base video app. I can switch inputs, turn my soundbar on and off, raise or lower the volume. The TV lets me know about the scores of the world cup games running live :grin:

As I don't have smart thermostat or light bulb fitted in the house, I can't tell if it would work or not.

So it seems fun so far, I can imagine they are working hard to implement new features and improve the assistant. I hope they won't brake it with the future updates :sweat_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

Thanks Guys  :slight_smile:

So it looks like Google are pushing it out.

Hoping my ZD9 will get the update soon.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

I just pressed the home button and the "set up google assistant" showed yehhhhhhhhh:smiley:

And then it forced closed BOoooooooooooooooo   :devil:

I will reset the TV later and report back.