Join now - be part of our community!

XD85 HDR

sephenneill59
Explorer

XD85 HDR

I've been told that the 55XD85 supports HDR but does not have the hardware to reproduce HDR. Apparently I would have to buy a XD9 to achieve this. Is this correct?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The ZD9 is Sony's flagship model - However the information you have been told is incorrect, I have a KD-55XD8577 TV and it does support HDR. 

Although the ZD9 will be brighter (in terms of nits) and will display it better (local dimming), but this is the extra you pay for.  The XD85 does HDR quite alright to be honest.  Although, for best performance you need a darker room.

Cheers

sephenneill59
Explorer

I was going by this review, it talks about the inability to reproduce "proper" HDR due to the lack of the hardware required

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 13.56.17.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think the review is referring to what is called FALD (Full Array Local Dimming).  HDR does indeed display better with FALD than Edge Lit LED.  This is because with FALD can dim or turn off lighting to a local area, where-as Edge lit is not.  Also the ZD9 has a higher peak brightness - HDR does darken the image in darker scenes somewhat, so a brighter panel/lighting is better.

Obviously, if you can afford the ZD9 and want it, then by all means purchase it.  It is a simply stunning TV!! 

In regards to the review where it mentions VA and IPS panels, a good read can be found:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/lcd-panel-types-explored/

In short, VA panels give better blacks but wash out colours when not viewing head on.  IPS panels keep their colours when viewing from the side, but the blacks/dark scenes dont look as black as it should.

Cheers.

sephenneill59
Explorer

Unfortunately the article is not referring to FALD TV's but rather that the XD series Sony's do not have the hardware to reproduce HDR, in fact they recommend buying the XD93 which does. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 21.04.47.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I cant disagree with that.  But there are also very few TVs that meet the full requirements of HDR.  I did find this however:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/2337425-hdr-capable-displays.html#/forumsite/...

You also have to take into account the price point of TVs - the more you pay, the better (hopefully) and the more you get.  There is a reason why ZD9 is the flagship model where as the XD85 is mid-range 4K.

Bare in mind that some of these review site test things to the sheer limits of the technology available, and sometimes when then see a flagship model, they compare it to the others - which never meets up to their expectations.  They also do not simulate real world conditions either in many reviews. 

I own the XD85 series TV - I find it fine.  But it is no comparison to the ZD9.

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I wouldn't just look at XD85 and ZD9. The XD93, even though being edge lit, has several dimming zones and is very well suited for HDR. It probably has the best price/value ratio. Most people will be happy with XD85 though, probably better safing the money for a future TV, as HDR is not well defined at the moment. Lots of future HDR content might be VP9.2. And it is not yet clear whether XD85 and XD93 can decode that. And who knows what will happen to HDR10?

The above is just from a hardware point-of-view. When looking at the software I would stay away from any Sony, see my review.