Join now - be part of our community!

XR-65A90J Pixelation

profile.country.GB.title
goldtosh
New

XR-65A90J Pixelation

Hi everyone,

I noticed that my XR-65A90J wasn't always producing stellar pictures, which I thought it should following all the amazing reviews and the price tag. I have now been able to evidence this with a few recent examples. 

- The Adam Project: around 1 hour 13 minutes, the sky behind the two characters is very pixelated/noisy.

- The Rise of Skywalker trailer: huge amount of noise throughout, very prominent behind Finn in one shot.

- Similarly, a recent football match didn't look sharp, and when I got up close, there was clear pixelation around the players.

I have photos showing all of these examples (below). For The Adam Project, I watched the same section on an older TV and the sky is perfectly smooth (second image).

Adam Project - XR-65A90JAdam Project - XR-65A90JAdam Project - Old TVAdam Project - Old TVRise of Skywalker - XR-65A90JRise of Skywalker - XR-65A90JRise of Skywalker Close - XR-65A90JRise of Skywalker Close - XR-65A90JFootball - XR-65A90JFootball - XR-65A90J

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it correct, or is there a problem with the screen?

Many thanks,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

We need to know the sources of the videos and your settings to give an objective answer

profile.country.GB.title
goldtosh
New

Sorry, I should have included that.

Sources were:

- Adam Project: Netflix

- Football: Amazon

- Star Wars: Disney Plus

All programmes were streamed - I have 200 mbps Virgin.

The settings were default generally. I tried various Picture Profiles, which changed the colour, but not the pixelation.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should know some basic when being an owner of such a top tier TV

• Default setting (meaning "standard profile" are quite wrong not only for colour but also for a lot of electronic filter that you may want to avoid especially for movies. Custom ne is the more correct if you don't want to professionally calibrate it
  • 200 mbps internet connection does not mean nothing when streaming from Netflix or the like : if they use 15mbps max it is the best you can get. And obviously there is compression involved. 
  • Probably your old TV (you do not specify type /size) simply compress the data on the screen that let you not seeing the defect in the source 
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Netflix=>Adam, it looks like the app doesn't allow higher définition because of bandwitch issue so it lowers the definition  HD instead of 4K.. doesn it happen with other movies? can you try via wifi to see if there is a difference? so we can be sure of the issue

Disney=>the rise of Skywalker, this movie was shot with 35mm film so that's normal to have grain. Especially with 4K, grain is even sharper than with lower resolution that can clean it out 

Amazon=> it looks like macro block typical from a low video stream or when you set the sharpness edge too high. If it's not the TV setting then it's Amazon's fault

Dont forget that even it can be 4K, such app have poor video debts. 4K stream is max 20Mbps but usually more around 12Mbps.... so it's usual that have compression artifacts, not so smooth movie scenes, and macro block in low light scenes.

You never have such problem with Blu Ray & UHD disc... but it's less convenient so if you want the best picture quality you have to go physical, otherwise accepting such issues because the streaming technology has its limits.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ goldtosh, test wit a personal hotspot with a good capacity, if the pic is good it's the network.