Join now - be part of our community!

hdr cx360 no woring software to transfer video to computer

profile.country.US.title
carusoswi
Explorer

hdr cx360 no woring software to transfer video to computer

I used Playmemories Home with my camcorder in November.  I sit here in front of my computer on Christmas morning wanting to transfer video shot yesterday, and my camcorder, when connected, is only recognized as a drive.  I downloaded (for the 10th time) Playmemories Home and installed it.  It does not recognize my camcorder.  The old software PMB is no longer shown on the Asian site.

How do I make transfers from my camcorder.

I'm not used to this video stuff.  I own Vegas Pro 12, have used Vegas since the old Sonic Foundry version 12 days, owned a CCD5000 from sony (you transferred DV footage to the computer over firewire in real time - slower to be sure, but it never left me stranded as I am now).  Why so complicated.  

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Caruso

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.US.title
carusoswi
Explorer

Have since discovered that my videos are stored on the memory card in a directory named MP_Root/100PNV01, and show up as MPG files.  I can dispense with the Sony Playmemories Home software, and can now import directly to Windows or Linux directly.  This suites me better than the Sony software.  Additionally, I can remove the memory card from my camcorder, insert the card directly into my laptop, and import without connecting my camcorder to the computer via its USB cord.  I really prefer this.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but, as I have seen this question ask several times by others online, I hope this information is of use to someone else.  I spent an hour and a half this morning trying to get my images from my camcorder onto my computer.  No, I will not have this problem again.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah (I know, it has already come and gone), and best wishes to a happy holiday to anyone celebrating a different holiday this time of year.

Caruso

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @carusoswi,

did you switch your camcorder on and select the USB-mode when you connected it to your PC?

PlayMemories Home copies the files more reliable (it verifies each files integrity, which ensures files don't get corrupted) than if you just import it manually (copy it from the SD card with the normal Windows Explorer view).

You can also use it to import from the SD card if you take it out anyways and plug it into a card reader.

- Nic

profile.country.US.title
carusoswi
Explorer

Betreff:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not new to the camcorder or Sony's software.  I don't think I'm all that fussy, but I am baffled that the "new" style in designing web interfaces seems to be "make it different" just to be different.  Playmemories crashed on me a half dozen times - click to add a new folder and the software became unresponsive, and the ony way to escape was to log off as a Windows user, force quit the software and log back on. Could not kill it with the Task Manager.

Finally, I was able to get Playmemories home to run, then discovered that I could press an icon to navigate to the camera connected by usb or to the card if inserted into the computer's card slot (previously, I had relied upon the software to detect my camcorder and autostart).  I figured if it was that simple, I should be able to live without the usb connection, and it naturally followed that, if I could do that in Windows, I should also be able to do it in Linux.  Tried it, it works, so that will be my method moving forward.

No disrespect to you or anyone, but the Sony software seems to me to be just a fancy front end for doing what anyone can do within most any operating system without a need to use the front-end software.

On the other hand, having used this software many times before, I was plenty frustrated when I plugged in my camcorder to crank out some quick holiday videos only to find buggy software.

I do appreciaite your reply.

Have a good holiday.

Caruso

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

carusoswi schrieb:

Could not kill it with the Task Manager.

You can kill any software with going to the "processes" tab and ending the process :wink:

carusoswi schrieb:

No disrespect to you or anyone, but the Sony software seems to me to be just a fancy front end for doing what anyone can do within most any operating system without a need to use the front-end software.

No harm done.

I just speak from experience.

Whith PMH I never had any corrupted video while with normal "copy-paste" I had corrupted video files a few times.

PMH also directly sorts the videos to a folder with the date it was recorded as name, which I would have to do manually with windows.

If the camera is in the correct mode, you will not only see the camera in PMH but also see the SD card inside the camera.

You can also just insert the SD card into your PCs card reader and use PMH as well to import from there, since it will notice the video files.

Additionally it let's you auto-delete videos after successful import (which works slightly different then using the "cut+paste" option.

I have no problem if you don't want to use it or if it doesn't work properly on your PC - yet from my experience you will have fewer propbelms with PMH than copying your videos manually.

- Nic

profile.country.US.title
carusoswi
Explorer

Again, thans for the reply.

I'll give that 'kill process' a try next time.

The supplied Sony software is all that I ever used to transfer material from my camcorder to my computer since I received the unit as a gift from my wife (probably 5 years or so ago).  It always worked, but I was always bothered that it was a Windows (or MAC, I guess) application.  I like to work in Linux.  I've nothing against the software, but finding files and managing with an explorer type interface just works better for me.

Thanks again for your help.  Have a great holiday and a healthy and prosperous new year.

Caruso