Join now - be part of our community!

How to open lens cover of camcorder AX53

SOLVED
VlRoland
Explorer

How to open lens cover of camcorder AX53

I need to clean the lens of a ax53 camcorder. When the camcorder is off, the cover of the lens is automatic closed. The cover is only opened when the camera is in standby position, but then the lens is moving all the time and I am afraid to damage the stabilization system when I am wiping the lens. My question is: how can I clean the lens? How can I open the lens cover when the camcorder is in off mode.

Any answer is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@VlRoland

Hi,

I have just read your post and I remember that I had the same questions when I discovered dried rain drops on my lens. With the camera off, carefully open the lens cover with a finger nail, you will notice that the resistance is slight, once the lens cover is partially open beyond a point it springs all the way open itself. Clean the lens gently, the BOSS system is inactive as the camera is off so unless you move the camera erratically it stays put.

Once cleaned open the view finder to switch the camera on, close the view finder and presto, the lens cover closes normally as the camera shuts down.

Edit: I have read the owners manual and there is no reference on how to open the lens cover although there is a section on lens care.

Happy cleaning.

Regards 

If it ain't broke don't fix it

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sarahward
Explorer

Have  you tried doing the cleaning on a tripod or fixed surface?  The camera supoosedly doesn't use the boss system when on a fixed mount.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@VlRoland

Hi,

I have just read your post and I remember that I had the same questions when I discovered dried rain drops on my lens. With the camera off, carefully open the lens cover with a finger nail, you will notice that the resistance is slight, once the lens cover is partially open beyond a point it springs all the way open itself. Clean the lens gently, the BOSS system is inactive as the camera is off so unless you move the camera erratically it stays put.

Once cleaned open the view finder to switch the camera on, close the view finder and presto, the lens cover closes normally as the camera shuts down.

Edit: I have read the owners manual and there is no reference on how to open the lens cover although there is a section on lens care.

Happy cleaning.

Regards 

If it ain't broke don't fix it
sarahward
Explorer

With the camera switched off gently move the lens cover up or down and it will click open and stay open until you switch the camera on.

tscheer
New

I found that the only way to keep the lens locked (not floating) when the cover is open is to turn off the "steady shot" function.  Select "camera/mic" in the "Menu."  Scroll to "steady shot" and turn it off.  Clean the lens either with the camera on (monitor open) or off (monitor closed and manually click open the lens cover).  Then go back and turn "steady shot" back on.