Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to set time and date on my DCR-HC51E

profile.country.GB.title
Maggiea200
Explorer

Unable to set time and date on my DCR-HC51E

My camera having returned from Sony, I can no longer operate it to record or to playback although the screen lights up as normal. have tried resetting but now have the date and time screen but unable to enter the date and time because the touch screen although illuminated refuses to work.

Have stripped the touch screen, extremely carefully removed the ribbon cables, carefully cleaned with industrial alcohol and reinstalled exactly as before in the hope that the problem was caused by a poor connection but the problem persists.

Does the comunity have any ideas of could it be that whilst Sony had my camera, they sabotaged it because I refused to pay £54 for them just have a look at it and £184 should a repair be necessary? The question is asked somewhat tongue in cheek. The original problem being that my Mac wasnt seeing the camera when connectd via a firewire cable and all I wanted Sony to do was to confirm that there was a signal being sent via the 1394 outlet.

Solutions to either problem anyone?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Maggiea200,

did you get the camera serviced by Sony directly or by a contractor.

If you PM me the case number, I could get in contact with the support to see if they can figure something out.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Maggiea200
Explorer

Hi Nic,

Thank for your incredibly quick reply, which was quicker than getting through to anyone at Sony!

The camera was sent to Sony Central Services for the purpose (I stated in my post) of establishing that the 1394 socket was actually trying to send a signal. Given the value of the camera, I bawked at the £54 just to look at the camera!

It was booked in on the 09/01/18 under case number 650944 Model DCR-HC51E Serial No 0531852.

Were it not that I have a shoebox full of mini DV tapes that I want to upload to my computer I would doubtless have chucked it in the skip!! I have also invested a considerable amount of tme and money in re-loading OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on to my Mac - this suposedly being the latest operating system supported by Sony. Any assistance you are able to provide would be most appreciated.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Maggiea200,

I forwarded the info to the Sony support and will contact you as soon as I hear back.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Maggiea200
Explorer

Nic, many thanks.

Maggie

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Maggiea200,

the support got back to me.

based on the information the customer provided it seems that the issue with the touch screen only occurred after sending the unit to Sony Central Services and returned not fixed. Based on that, the customer will need to contact them about this issue to get help as we're unable to assist with that issue from our end.

According to them you should get in contact with Sony Central Services via this link:  http://bit.ly/2byAqx1

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Maggiea200
Explorer

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your interest and efforts thus far. Sony Central Services have responded to my enquirys with the fairly predictable reply - they did nothing to my camera other than return it to me as requested.

I have therefore to attribute this sudden failure of my camera to "coincidence".

This doesnt change the fact that my camera in its present state is pretty useless in that I am unable to set the time and date or move forwadr to either record or playback even though everything appears normal. That is to say when switching the camera on the display screen lights up and the display reads "Camera" or "Play/Edit" and then defaults to the settings screen but from then on the touch screen "buttons" are non responsive. 

I am loath to spend money on it, givne its net worth and yet I am also reluctanct to buy another second hand mini DV tape camera for fear of swapping one set of problems for another. Any further ideas would be much appreciated.