Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 malfunctioning (won't show pictures)

profile.country.GB.title
jjlothin
Explorer

RDR-HXD870 malfunctioning (won't show pictures)

My RDR-HXD870 was working perfectly well last night, but when I turned it on this evening I couldn't get it to show pictures - or, indeed, do anything much at all.

It will show the 'System Setup' options, for example, but when I try to retune channels, the screen remains black and the front panel simply shows 'Tuning' - indefinitely.

Otherwise, the front panel shows the time and 'D - - -'.

Needless to say, I've tried taking all the cables out and putting them back in again, to no avail.

Any advice/suggestions welcome!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Be sure you have the latest 1.70 fw version. It seems like a good old bug fixed by that release.

In any case, try resetting (after having updated the fw if needed) by pressing off and stop on the telly (if i remember well the procedure)

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-rdrhxd-firmware-update-v170/RDR-HXD8...

profile.country.GB.title
jjlothin
Explorer

Really appreciate your reply, rooobb, but I'm afraid it hasn't worked!

I went through the firmware update procedure (previously the machine was showing 1.6something) and all seemed to be going well - except it just hung on 'DOWNLOAD 5' indefinitely. Eventually I turned the machine off at the wall and when I turned it back on and checked which version of firmware it had, it had somehow got to 1.7.

I then did the factory reset (i.e. pressing STOP, then On/standby button).

Machine back on, I started on Easy Setup - and just as before, the screen went blank after 'Autoscan' with the front panel showing 'Tuning' - indefinitely!

Are you able to think of anything else - or do you think this wonderful machine has now had it?!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just try unplugging the machine for some minutes after a new reset... sometimes memory remain dirty.
profile.country.GB.title
jjlothin
Explorer

Thanks again, Rooobb, but I left it unplugged for an hour after a reset and it still sticks on TUNING!

Clutching at straws, I'll give it one more try and leave it unplugged overnight ...

Tags (1)
GeraldDemartini
Explorer

You should check update for the : RDR-HXD870 version first. Hope this will solve your problem. There is a new update of a version of the RDR-HXD870, check it first. 

profile.country.GB.title
jjlothin
Explorer

Many thanks for your reply, Gerald, but I wasn't quite sure what you meant?

When you say 'check update', is that the same as getting the latest firmware (1.7) - which I've already tried to do (see previous messages)?