Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@68058468 wrote:

Send a ubp-x700 player to us in order to stop using arc and play our video 4k files as well as watch Netflix from the player. Thus we are going to connect the receiver to the tv with optical cable and stop requesting for a return 🙂

:slight_smile: Yes, and then you'll find more to complain about, I'm afraid. The Netflix experience isn't that great with the UBP-X700 and you have to manually switch on/off Dolby Vision everytime you want to use it (but that's another story!) 

profile.country.GR.title

Oh, come on!!! 

Is there anything that works as it supposed to, under the sony brand ???

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@68058468 wrote:

Oh, come on!!! 

Is there anything that works as it supposed to, under the sony brand ???

The cynical side of me says that it's all done on purpose to keep you upgrading year on year. Sony haven't added Dolby Vision with a firmware update to the x800 model that came out just before the x700, even though it is supposed to be a premium blu-ray player. Then they brought out the 'budget' x700 player promising DV and then implementing this manual version. And this year they have the x800M2 premium model coming out with DV included, assuming (but not confirmed) that it has auto DV selection, which it should have really had in the other two players!

On top of all that you have this useless forum of frustrated customers that get little or no response from Sony. 

I used to like Sony quite a lot, but there is fierce competition out there and better or at least on-par products. As far as I'm concerned, I'm buying a Denon amp and Panasonic UHD blu-ray player next time!

profile.country.GR.title

Agree with you in that. Every time you buy a sony product, you learn a lesson: you cant buy sony products, unless you are willing to compromise with functions that supposed to work but don't, unless you have unlimited time to debug and workaround malfunctions ... 

profile.country.GB.title
akrobet
Explorer

I could even manage to live with having to switch to the correct input, but the Sony's menu is excruciatingly slow(!!) the first 2 minutes since start, exactly when you'd want to select the correct input.
How can they sell a device in 2019 that is this slow and laggy in the menu? My previous Yamaha receiver is butter smooth and fast in the menu from the start. And that is from 2012. The only problem thing I lack on it is 4k 60p.

I'm really trying to get used to the STR-DN1080, but I just get ***** every time I use it.. Not a experience for the long term. 

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Yes, I have the switching problem as well. Even when I choose the input in the menu, it either switches to another input device or it takes ages . I have a satellite box connected as well (should be able to select the input via remote control), but this doesn't work. I need to restart to box - works then.

Should have known before that Sony devices don't work properly. I had a TV which died after a while (after the warranty period), and also a MP3 player, which does more less what it wants.

And about software: Not great. I use Media Go for transferring songs from my laptop to my Sony mp3. Very slow and not very easy to use

profile.country.GB.title
clutchcable
Explorer

Yes it’s annoying,

I turn on my tv which powers up the amp I then turn on my Xbox and can navigate the menus on the Xbox but I have to wait 2-3 mins before starting a game because the amp decides it wants me to go back to the home menu so I can select the Xbox as a input which It was already on.

this past year I have been waiting for a firmware patch thinking Sony would resolve this but still nothing. I haven’t bothered with support because they would likely blame my Samsung TV or Xbox.

profile.country.GB.title
allanp81

I'm seriously considering ditching the 1080 because of this annoying issue and will never buy a Sony product again as they clearly have no interest in actually listening to customers and fixing things that are clearly broken.

profile.country.GB.title
serrlix
New

Thanks everyone!

This problem, and Sony not acknowledging it, has convinced me to not buy this receiver and look for a different brand instead.

Such a shame, because I’ve heard many good things about the sound quality of this unit.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

@dutchice do you know if engineers have been notified of this longstanding issue, and if so, do they intend to fix this please?