Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.US.title
WillMackey
New

Just pinging Sony reps here to say that yeah, these conversations and attitudes do reach customers and affect decisions. Cancelling my AVR order after seeing this + all other threads about this issue.

Not that Sony would be the only one not giving a crap about customer feedback (look at the Harmony software and how it hasn't improved a bit during last, what 15 years?) but jebus christ this looks bad.

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Hey all. So I started this thread ages ago and have been struggling with it ever since with now real answer. The other day I thought I’d have another Look through the settings just in case and found in settings > hdmi settings > standby through. It was set to off. It’s to do with outputting signals when the amp is off. Which made me think that maybe this is caused by a change in input as it’s all starting up causing it to go to home. Anyway I changed the setting to on. 

since then I have not had a recurrence if the issue. Now I stress it’s only be a few days and this is for my particular set up. It may not help others and the issue could show up again for me I just coincidently haven’t hit it since. And that setting could have other impacts I just haven’t experienced yet.  But for now I’m cautiously happy. Good luck! 

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thanks for the update. Do you have any way to measure the power consumption of your receiver? Because enabling this feature is reported to increase power consumption and possibly heat.

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

No I don’t. But I’ll let you know what my electricity bill is when it next comes in 😉

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Humm this might not of been the silver bullet I hoped. I have just had the home screen pop up. But I am still convinced it has decreased. 

profile.country.IE.title
cornelius1

Hi Jack,

Forget about all the unsolved receiver problems.

My one died a few weeks ago (of course outside the warranty period), and I got a Denon 2600.

Perfectly working, receiver can be controlled via app, Heos app works  andwell no problem with remote control

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
allanp81

@cornelius1 I'll be doing the same, in a strange way I want my 1080 to die as it's a pain in the bum and no way deserves the plaudits it seems to receive.

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

If I could afford to change it I would but for now I’m stuck with it. And to be fair I’m happy with most of it. But this home screen drives me nuts. 

mesrsl
Explorer

I have a 1050 which also has input switching issues which I didn't see before until starting to use it with ARC.

I have learned to live with it but now that I was going to upgrade to a 1080, it is offered at a very reasonable price right currently, I am going to have to decide against it now. Been with you for years Sony, pity!

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

So I posted this workaround a while back but just repeating myself in case anyone missed it. By doing this I have completely eradicated the home screen issue on my set up - it never appears by itself at all - although you can only achieve this by disabling HDMI CEC and therefore ARC.

I know this won’t suit everyone, and I know it’s a workaround to solve a problem that shouldn’t exist in the first place, but for me it’s worth doing just to stop that annoying home screen from appearing, and I can’t afford to replace my amp unless it dies (and actually, apart from the home screen issue I think the amp is great).

The way I achieved it was as follows:

• use the 1080 as the main hub. Attach all your devices into this and the HDMI out into a non-ARC input on your TV
  • switch off HDMI control/CEC on all devices
  • if you want Dolby Digital Plus or above from Netflix, Amazon etc., use a separate streaming device, such as a Roku stick or Apple TV, instead of using the apps from your smart TV. I have an Apple TV as it supports 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which are all supported by the 1080
  • attach an optical cable from the TV into the 1080 to get surround sound from over-the-Air TV channels, such as Freeview
  • (Optional) because you need to switch off HDMI CEC, it helps if you have a universal remote to control all devices centrally, to avoid death by remote

By doing this, I no longer get the Home screen or slow inputs, or anything else being experienced by people on this thread either.