How to: get the most out of Android TV

jaylward
18,636  Views

Android_TV.jpgAndroid TV is the game-changing new platform that can be found on most of our BRAVIA models. We introduced it on some of our TVs last year, and in 2016 we’ve included it on even more models.

The Android TV experience revolves centrally around apps that can be downloaded on the TV, but for first-time Android users this new process can seem slightly overwhelming. If you’re one of those who’s struggling to get to grips with apps and how they can be used on Android TV,  then simply keep on reading and you’ll be up-and-running in no time at all...

What do I need for Android TV?

Google-log-in.jpgSetting up Android TV for the first time couldn’t be easier - all you need is a Google account, the details of which your TV will ask you to enter the first time you turn it on.

If you already have a Google account then simply enter your email address and password when prompted. If you don’t, it’s easy to set one up in just a few minutes by visiting the Google webpage.

For a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to setting up your Android TV for the first time, check out our unboxing video below.

Where do I download Android TV apps?

Google-Play.jpg

The only way to download apps for Android TV is via the Google Play Store, which you can find easily by going to the Android TV home menu and scrolling down until you see the Google Play Store icon.

If you have an Android smartphone then you’ll be familiar with how the Store works, but if it’s your first time then fear not! When you first open it up you’ll find a page that recommends you some of the best Android TV apps available, or you can use the search bar to find a specific app that you’ve been searching for.

Once you’ve downloaded your favourite apps, simply head back to the Android TV home menu and you’ll find each of the apps neatly organised in a row. All that’s left now is to simply click on the app you want to use and enjoy!

How do I control Android TV apps?

gamepad.jpgThe answer to this question really depends on which app you’re using. For streaming services like Netflix, YouTube or Deezer, everything can be controlled using the smart remote control that comes included with your TV.

But for lots of the Android TV gaming apps, you should use a special gamepad for the very best experience. This might seem like an inconvenience at first, but once you’ve wirelessly connected a gamepad to the TV they can also be used to navigate seamlessly around the Android TV menus just like you would with the normal remote. If you have a PS4 then you can use the controller to play Android TV games, but if not then we’d recommend the Logitech F310 and F710, or the Razer Serval.

Why can’t I just install all the apps I have on my smartphone?

Every app that you’ll find on Android TV has been specifically tweaked and optimised to work on a TV display, so you might not be able to find each and every app that you’re used to using on your Android smartphone or tablet.

However, Android TV is still in its infancy, and so developers are working around the clock to deliver new and exciting additions to the Google Play Store that have been created purely with the TV experience in mind.

Something that most people don’t realise is that you can actually stream apps from your Android smartphone straight to your Android TV, without having the app installed on the TV. For example, if you have the Netflix app downloaded on your Android smartphone or tablet, open it and you’ll notice the Google Cast logo sitting on the top-right-hand corner. Tap the icon, and then tap on your TV’s name which should appear and Netflix will open on your TV - even if the Netflix app hasn’t been downloaded on your TV!

To learn even more about Android TV, click on the button below.

Learn-more_EN.jpg

Blogid0092
3 Comments