Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
paddyg1
Explorer

hi,

has this been resolved by sony? does anyone know a fix which doesnt mean getting a new TV, or stick, etc?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jrio1963
Explorer

I've been resigned to Sony not attempting to try resolve the issue because there's no immediate profit in it for them.

They will lose out over many years, as previous customers who saw them as the most reliable and innovative option will buy TVs and related items from other manufacturers.  I've also recently found that the "resume" feature for iPlayer no longer functions. When you return to play from the same point, it starts from the start.  On computer - yes.  On YouView - yes.  On Sony TV - no.  I raised it with the BBC tech team and they couldn't recreate the fault.  Maybe "Failing Grayling" is now in charge somewhere in Sony - it would explain a lot.

The solution?  For me not buying Sony in future - go Panasonic, Samsung or LG.

Not just due to this instance.  I bought a Sony soundbase for the same TV.  The sound didn't sync with the TV, being a second or two askew.  They told me it needed to be sent to a Sony approved dealer for upgraded firmware.  That's a brand new Sony soundbase that doesn't work with a new Sony TV.  I returned it to John Lewis for a refund and bought a Panasonic soundbase.

More like Pony than Sony.  Regret not going with a Panasonic TV for £50 more.  I won't make the same mistake again.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

I tried a sound bar as well, it too went back to John Lewis. It just wouldn’t provide any volume. I tried everything I could to get it to work but it simply wouldn’t do what it said on the tin.

profile.country.GB.title
Lloydy66
New

I have two Sony Bravia KDL tv's both relatively new (<2 years) and neither will play iPlayer anymore...were Ok until end of January when the BBc seem to have updated their software.

I have been through all the ritual stuff like updating the firmware, switching on and off etc and it is not a problem at my end as my Panasonic TV, Tivo box and Wifi are all fine.

So as Sony are clearly not offering any sort of solution what do people recommend as an alternative? Can I use a firestick or something similar to effecitively increase the memory available? Or is there anything better/more effective.

By the way I too will not be buying more Sony TV equipment after years of brand loyalty this has totally p.... me off!

profile.country.GB.title
monpay123
Explorer

I had the same problem with my Sony Bravia two and a half years ago.  Someone suggested I buy a Now TV Box which I bought from Argos for £30 and it did the job.  No more problems.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

You can get a NowTV box for 15GBP. Better still, get a Roku box for £25GBP. It's far more flexible, has lots of channels, and it's very responsive. Plus you don't have to sign up with Sky. :yahoo:

profile.country.GB.title
Lloydy66
New

Thanks you for your replies...

Have ordered a Roku express as this seems to be a versatile and low cost alternative.

Hope it works!

lorr1e1
Explorer

Any update on this? 

lorr1e1
Explorer

Hi is there any update to this?