Join now - be part of our community!

Colour system set to NTSC

profile.country.GB.title
mickjono
Explorer

Colour system set to NTSC

I have noticed that the Colour System on my KDL-40RD453 defaults to NTSC for the digital tuner. Do all users have the same setting?

Set-up - AV Set-up - Colour System (NTSC3.58)

Does this setting actually affect the digital tuner output processing?

I have the most current firmware version v8.518 and the TV auto set-up was followed for language - English, country - United  Kingdom.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

All looks good from what I can tell.  Are you having a specific problem?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
mickjono
Explorer

There is no problem as such. This is a relatively new TV, I am still trying to tweak the TV picture to my taste.

I wondered why this setting defaults to NTSC and not PAL for a UK/ European TV. If other users confirm they have the same value on their TV then I can put this to bed.

If others have this setting at PAL, this leads to the second question “Does this setting actually affect the digital tuner output processing?”

I half remember in the past, playing NTSC dvds’ on the equipment I had then and the TV picture looking a little strange.

profile.country.GB.title
mickjono
Explorer

To complete this thread. This question came about because I had picture issues:
A slight green tint to the picture, which lead to strange skin tones
A very narrow TV viewing angle.

They were not initially mentioned as I just wanted an answer to this very specific question. Unfortunately nobody bothered to answer it.

The issues were improved by:
Running a 'dead pixel test' video, which exercised the screen thoroughly.

Switching the colour system of my AV amp to NTSC from he PAL value needed by my previous TV, this helped for HDMI sources.

Re-running calibration using a 'AVS-HD 709' disk.