Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
rotimms89
Visitor

Engineer called today. Confirmed panel fault. Now awaiting either replacement panel / TV or refund. Will report back on outcome.

Rob

rotimms89
Visitor

New panel fitted 27th November and TV is now as good as new. Actually alot better because the backlight bleed on the old panel was horrendous. All in all this has been a swift and hassle free fix and all done FOC when TV was 3 years out of warranty ( I only opted for the standard 1 year manufacturers guarantee).

My only concern now is that this panel might go the same way as the old one in about 4 years (or less)...guess I better get saving for a new one

iagibso49

Good that it's fixed and in 4 years ... who knows which manufacturers will still be solvent and making TVs

jambo766
Visitor

Hi Lee,

I have the same problems with my KDL-52X3500 ... if you tap the side of the screen, the problem temporarily goes away. I have contacted Sony Customer services who deny it is a manufacturing fault.

The TV ( which I paid approx £3500 for) is approx 3-4 years old, I do not think I have the original proof of purchase ( the shop may still have records) and do not have an extended warranty. I have contacted the local service centre and am waiting to hear back... what should I do. I would like to avoid any costs if at all possible, as from looking at the numerous forums and posts, this is a common problem that I would expect to be covered as a gesture of goodwill. I have been been buying sony products for the last 30 years and have been a loyal supporter of what I was always led to believe was the best home electrical brand. I have spent upwards of £50,000 over the years on Sony products and have been mostly extremely happy.

Please advise?

profile.country.pt_PT.title
cardosodk
profile.country.GB.title
jobonet77
New

worked ok till it was 2 years 11 months since it was manufactured in May 2010.....AND THEN.....

Bad points:

SUPPOSEDLY ONE OF SONY'S FLAGSHIPS ...SUPER BRAVIA KDL-40EX403 SERIAL NUMBER 9025638 DECIDED TO STOP SOUND AND PICTURE... PAID £25 TO A LOCAL TV ENGINEER WHO CONFIRMED THAT THE LCD SCREEN HAD HAD IT'S DAY AND TOO COSTLY TO REPAIR!!!.....WHY??????...AFTER LESS THAN 3 YEARS FROM MANUFACTURE.....05/2010....!!!!!!????

TILL NOW I RELIED ON SONY...BOUGHT TVs, VIDEO RECORDER, 2 CAMCORDERS, DVD PLAYER ...STILL GOT MY SONY BETA RECORDER WORKING...

WOULD LOVE SONY TO COMMENT WHY THIS SET ONLY WORKED FOR A VERY FEW MONTHS!!!.

patrikf
Explorer

Hi! Would you mind telling me what kind of warranty your TV was on? I called them now, and although the TV was supposed to have a 5 year warranty, Sony denies having any record of this.. And they sure won't fix it without this record (or a certificate, which I never received).

patrikf
Explorer

That question was for rotimms89.

Sorry about that, new to this message board.

Canmore14
Explorer

Have had my Bravia 40W4500 repaired for a second time initial repair failed within one year, still within the period of the expected life of a TV under "The Sale of Goods Act 1979".

On reporting the fault again I was directed to have it repaired by the local authorised service centre.

Sony has now rejected repair claim from  thier authorised service centre, who look like they may try and recover cost from myself.

Don't hold your breath

Canmore14
Explorer

Under "The Sale of Goods Act 1979" TV is expected to last six years, and as this is an inherent fault stick with it.