Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
stumpybloke
New

Wakeys post sums it up perfectly!!

wylddog
Visitor

wish i had saved a few hundred pounds on my tv and just bought a bloody roku or something

easyworldrock
Visitor

Well that settles it. My next TV won't be a Sony!

ukcjm1
Visitor

Bad move, Sony.

My Netflix has been cancelled and I'm selling my Sony Blu-ray player to buy a Roku.

I won't be buying any Sony products ever again.

profile.country.en_IE.title
caspermccormack
Visitor

Thanks for looking into the TV3 app for me, however my only concern and the reason I sold my WD TV to buy the SMP-N200 was to watch Netflix, so I'll ask again will Netflix be available soon on the SMP-N200?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi, you'll need to contact your local service centre to et them to check out your SNP-N200. There are no known issues with TV3, indeed I was speaking with them today and nothing was raised as an issue by them.

As above, presently Netflix is not compatible with your device and it's unlikely it's will change I'm afraid.

Thanks

psiops
Visitor

i suppose the reason i am more upset than i realy should be, is why sony didnt know this wasnt going to work before netflix was released.as it looks like they were in comunication for quite a while before the release of netflix  so surely when it didnt work back then and the date in your link is 25 may 2010 , so should sony not have made their 2011 devices playready compatible knowing this was going to happen, this more than anything shows sony's lack of concern for what the customer would want in the future. could you explain why this was not considered, also according to your link they were allready using playready way back then so why was it such a surprise when they went with it?

randleog
Visitor

When you say backported, do you mean updated via firmware?  If so, will this be through a network connection automatically or something the customer will install manually?

I am not as impressed as I thought I would be with the Lovefilm service since I found out that you have to pay extra for most of the decent films.

murphy197
Visitor

I just wonder why we weren't told this from the start as Netflix has been live in the UK for a while so Sony must have known about the system they were using for DRM?

It would have been nice to have been told this from the start instead of it should hopefully appear soon.

I wonder if it really is impossible or Sony just want us to upgrade every year by buying a bluray player if not a new TV?  We'll see if the 2012 hardware is really different from the 2011 or if they used the same internals again.

ukcjm1
Visitor

"I wonder if it really is impossible or Sony just want us to upgrade every year by buying a bluray player if not a new TV?"

Excellent point. It would seem the latter. I know after this experience I'll be avoiding Sony in any future purchases.

I bought an internet-enabled blu-ray player knowing the future was online streaming. Turns out it's entirely up to Sony whether they keep it current in terms of available services, and therefore of any practical use. Within months my player is basically redundant in terms of what I needed it for. Sony are a disgrace.