Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Update Issue - KDL-42W829B

SOLVED
munkian

Netflix Update Issue - KDL-42W829B

Hi Guys

I got a new KDL-42W829B yesterday, set it all up fine, everything working.

Today Netflix app isn't working - TV says update required, I click to get update then says no new version avaliable

its then stuck in this loop

Other online apps are fine, firmware is up to date (downloaded to USB) Tv said its same version

Reset to factory settings, still no joy

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi boomball

I appreciate that your annoyed with the Netflix problems.  Please bear in mind that im not a Sony employee and are in fact one of you guys - what im getting at is "dont shoot the messanger"  :slight_smile:

Netflix, just like BBC iPlayer, has many different software versions - as each device can be slighly different.  This could explain why it works on a Bluray player or PS3, but not some 2014 TVs.

In regards to the resolution of Netflix's previous issue, it was actually pure coincidence that it was resolved on the same day as the FW update.  This is why there was a time delay between the update and Netflix working.  So it was assumed that the FW update fixed the problem - I dont know exactly what fixed the problem by the way.

Cheers

teefy-uk
Explorer

This is an interesting one, I don't know really how the law stands. But I've seen similar feedback regarding 4oD issues on Now TV boxes. I understand that these services are provided by third parties, but if Sony or Sky or whoever are selling equipment to access these services, and there's an issue that prevents their device from working with them, then surely it's down to the hardware vendor to resolve it. And if it's an issue with the third party provider, surely the hardware vendor is much better placed and connected to troubleshoot a solution. I'm curious as to what consumer protections we have in cases like this. Luckily I may have time to Google it, given the lack of Netflix at home :wink:
Anonymous
Not applicable

@teefy-uk  - The way I see it, it would be under Contract Law

You buy a Sony TV with Netflix, your Contract is therefore with Sony.  So if Netflix doesnt work, you compain to Sony.  Sony therefore has a Contract with Netflix, who will complain to Netflix.  Sony and Netflix will then work together to resolve the issue as Netflix would probably need expertise from Sony as well.

PS : Just guessing and calling it how I see it - and excluding other variables such as ISP issues :slight_smile:

jechris90
Explorer

I have just been chatting with a netflix employee, they are also aware of the problem and he informed me that they have located the problem problem and are working on fixing it:

Netflix Christopher

Ah yes that is correct. I am currently chatting with my engineers, they have receive reports that members are getting prompt to update the app but it is not going through. No worries though you are doing everything right on your end, and they want to thank you for reporting that you are experiencing this issue.

Netflix Christopher

They have informed me that they have located a fix to it and it is only a matter of time and it should be back up and running.

hevanro90
Explorer

Just joined to say, NetFlix not working, me too

(Making sure the impact is logged)

Same issue for KDL-40W605B

sibobbler
Explorer

Same here on my KDL50W829B. Working fine yesterday. Missus came to use the tv today and netflix says it needs an update but no new update found. Cannot cancel, cannot say "update later". Netflix now useless. Glad I have an Apple TV attached!
riclowen
New

Me too. Person I spoke to at sony did not have a clue! Worrying
hevanro90
Explorer

Perhaps a quick email to the Daily Mail highlighting the consumer issue might bring it to their attention....
justin_brrp
Explorer

me too