Join now - be part of our community!

When will Bravia KDL55W805 Be fixed?

ToonPatriot
Explorer

When will Bravia KDL55W805 Be fixed?

This TV does not emit DTS 5.1 sound to a receiver when playing an MKV file from USB.
It clearly states that it is doing so on th eTV screen, but it is not.

When will this be fixed, are Sony aware of this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there ToonPatriot

Unfortunately Sony are not aware of the problem, because the TV is doing exactly what it is designed to do.  Ill attempt to explain:

According to the Supported File Formats : HERE and specifically MKV (see below):

Supported Files.jpg

You will note that it say DTS-Core.   See pic below:

DTS Core.jpg

As you can see, DTS-Core only supports 2 channel audio upto the max bitrate as stated in the pic. When a file is encoded with DTS, it has two parts DTS-Core + DTS-HD.  Hence the TV will only process and playback the DTS-Core bit.

Hope that explains things

Cheers

ToonPatriot
Explorer

I was always under the impression that DTS core was still 5.1 - And it in fact come up DTS SURROUND on the screen. But only emits stereo and nt surround as it says on screen.
(AC3 (Dolby) works fine though)

It also says DTS core supports up to 6.1?

And why would a £1200 tv not pass dts (5.1) through to a receiver!?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looking back at past posts - we touched on this late last year :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Im not an audio expert - So I have limited understanding on this whole area.

From what I understand is that the 6.1ch at 48khz was the old DVD standard (I think - DTS-ES).  The 48khz is the sampling rate, of which is lower than the high-res (DTS-HDMA) of which blurays support, hence lower quality, therefore more channels can be supported within the given limits.

DTS is an audio codec that is "layered".  What I mean by that is you start of with the bare basics (DTS-Core) and then you add other layers ontop of it all. 

Unsure on the audio pass-through at the moment.

ToonPatriot
Explorer

Well Customer support kept on trying to blame my receiver (despite having no problem accepting any form of DTS or Dolby from any other source) and I must have been told to factory reset everything I own numerous times!
Is there anybody on here who can speak for Sony?
All I want is to not have to plug my laptop in every time I want to watch a movie. I don't want any sound to be processed by the TV, just go to the amp via the TV.
And even though it says DTS Surround on the TV, only a stereo signal is received by a receiver. So frustrating!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToonPatriot 

Hi there

I have requested that your query be escalated and hopefully get a detailed reponse on why and is there a solution.  Please ensure that you have the correct contact details under your account.

If you could update this thread once you receive an answer, as it may be helpful to others.

Cheers

ToonPatriot
Explorer

I have replied to Sony tech support with my number an best time to call..
I am pessimistic however as last time they just got me to restore my Receiver to factory settings (Despite it having no trouble accepting any form of DTS (even HDMA) from any other source.

Sebek74

ToonPatriot

Are you connecting your receiver using HDMI ARC or optical cable? I've read that DTS is always converted to 2ch PCM when connected via optical. Is the same problem using HDMI connection? I'm going to buy 5.1 receiver in near future, in this case it seems that external DLNA/USB player is needed to pass through DTS (and lossless TrueHD DTS-HD) tracks.

Cheers

profile.country.SE.title
stormense
New

First, HDMI ARC givs only 2 channel.

Nowadays, I think no modern TV  supports DTS 5.1. In the 1900s there was a TV with real passtrugh but not anymore. The brand was Sony :slight_smile: These TVs supports DTS 5.1 (I believe that it is not really true) but not Sony. <<Foreign language link removed by moderator>>
e93.png

The technology moves foreward but not with sound. Old recivers is not inferior to newer sonically. Unfortunately, they have not HDMI and we want 5.1 requires HDMI to new TV. But if you drive with HDMI ARC (2.0 only) for example, the Netflix app on their Sony TV misses out on 5.1 Dolby Plus.

As much as we gripes here is the facts that television manufacturers are not cared about good sound. You can not connect the player directly to your TV and enjoy good DTS 5.1 if you do not connect the audio directly to the receiver.