Join now - be part of our community!

mdr-zx770bn broken swivel

profile.country.GB.title
awilcox
New

mdr-zx770bn broken swivel

i've had my Headphone for a few months now and the headphones has broken on the left side, earphone connects to the headset via a small peice of plastic, does anyone know how i can get these repaired? i dont seem to be getting anywhere with getting it fixed under warranty

143602.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @awilcox and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

When you say you're having trouble getting it repaired under warranty can you give us a

few more details e.g. to confirm if you have contacted Sony Support and if so

what their reply may have been.

Thanks

I've got exactly the same issue as @awilcox ... and sadly enought, Sony Support (case:17711210) refuses to take it under warranty, stating that it is a "user damage".

While I've used my headphone in normal conditions... and strange enought, the broken side is also the left side...

I'm very disappointed by Sony : a product may be defective, but I expect such a brand to take care of their customers.

profile.country.GB.title
Rubns82
Explorer

Exactly the same problem, left side. Everything else works just fine but they’re basically useless now. That swivel is weak, bad quality plastic and tiny. Easy to break after some time wearing them at home, I did't even took them with me anywhere else. It should be under any warranty...

FilipeA
New

Same problem here. Also left side. What did you guys do? 

profile.country.GB.title
Rubns82
Explorer

I ended up glueing it with superglue and now it looks awful and does not rotate. But it works ok enough to use them on my workouts at home. My other options was to throw them away. Obviously a
defect from Sony and we are literally paying the price. Very disappointed.

profile.country.GB.title
dylan_mcgowan02
Explorer

Good evening from the UK,

I'm an amateur when it comes to repairing electronics, but there is good news! After spending the day tinkering with my two sets of Sony MDR ZX770BN's I'm glad to say that I have managed to repair them after suffering the exact same issue as you.

On the inside of the headband, there are three Phillip's screws holding a plastic bracket just above the swivel  mechanism (and just below the 'Left' and 'Right' icons) which connects to the wishbone. Undo those three screws to reveal the headband adjustment mechanism along with, in your case and mine, a lose piece of plastic shaped like a donut hangingosely off of the cable inside along with a loose metal plate shaped like the letter 'U'. Simply using a polymer glue, such as "Lockite", on the top part of the swivel piece and the underside of the plastic ring and let the glue cure. Once cured, place the metal plate shaped the letter 'U' in its bracket, which should slide in under your newly glued ring as this prevents that plate moving and allowing the swiveling action.

I hope this helps you as it helped me save another £75 on arguably some of the best value Bluetooth headphones around!

profile.country.GB.title
copo2020
Explorer

I too have suffered from a broken swivel on the left side.....as all others shown in this topic.  Obviously there is a design flaw which Sony should address.   I am very careful when handling and using and transporting my MDR-ZX770BN.   

I will try the fix as mention in July, from the UK. 

GhulamAhmed
Explorer

Disappointed at Sony customer care service and probably won't buy sonny in future. Took care of it myself....

20210410_165923.jpg

20210410_175502.jpg

20210410_165934.jpg