Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
gunit1978
Explorer

Tv does seem a little more responsive since the update, but I never had a problem with netflix beforehand but now I keep getting the screen stuck at 99% spinning round but the audio is playing in the background, this isnt whilst loading it is while a show is on, the 99 screen will just randomly pop up 😞

johndstephen83
Explorer

I really am torn whether or not to return my 49X8309 after updating it last night. It honestly appears to be no different. I have had to pull the plug on it 3 times since last night as no sound was present from the XT1 soundstage. It was registering that it was connected but no sound at all. TV speakers worked no problem. Also, as stated previously, I am still experiencing lip sync issues when watching Blu Ray content too. I have found that it appears to be less apparent switching off the 'enhanced HDMI' mode to the relevant HDMI port on the tv and to switch the blu Ray player to 24p 4K. 

I've had a quick play with Netflix which seems fine though. 

Mission360
Explorer

It must be an HDR broadcast. Watch Marco Polo on Netflix (this is HDR). Looks amazing.....although I have to say apart from the "missing" features on the TV, I have been lucky enough not to have sustained any of the issues mentioned on this thread. Yes, you will see an increased contrast, but the detail is fantastic :slight_smile:

lesking70

Thanks @Mission360 it was sense 8 I was watching, I'll give Marco a go tomorrow, this update has improved my tv,  but looking at it I am the lucky few I had some problems but nowhere near the amount most people are suffering with 

gunit1978
Explorer

Excuse my ignorance, is HDR on netflix etc only on the 4K versions as I dont have a 4K model.

Thanks in advance

Mission360
Explorer

Yes, you will only see the benefit in my opinion on a 4K TV. Take a look at
the following link.

http://4k.com/a-closer-look-at-4k-tv-hdr-9860-2/
moda101
Explorer

Really am torn between returning my Sony 50W805C or keeping it until the software system is sorted.  I spoke to amazon and they are willing to accept a refund/replacement nearly 3 months after purchase.  I really wish sony would just get it right, can anyone who returned there tv recommend a good 50/55 inch tv with a similar sony picture quality?  

UKPiglet

Just upgraded our KD55X9305 and tried Netflix:

Ed Byrne"Different Class".

On Sony TV KD55X9305 : Sound about 1/4 to 1/2 a second behind the picture.

On PC: Sound and picture in perfect sync

On Samsung TV: Sound and picture in perfect sync

Back to Sony TV KD55X9305 : Sound and Picture more or less in time....what!?

scoopy6

We had a similar run around with our last Tv, a Samsung, which after 3 years still says 'do you want to stop recording BBC1 and start recording BBC1' ! 🙂 There are only a few vendors and only a few common brands, while picture quality depends a lot upon how the Tv is set up, and is pretty subjective.

Imo there is not much difference so PQ is not a critical factor, and in my recent experience 'customer service' involves local 3rd party tv repair firms which know very ittle about the latest models and don't really know what they are supposed to do. They can only take the Tv away for a few weeks and then most often find nothing wrong or just change the main board, because anyway there are probably few components they can service or adjust.

The main thing is the spec of individual models, which may well rely upon predictions as to when an upgrade might be available, while who knows where the technical experts are located (for Samsung that was apparently Egypt and they did not respond to the local engineer's enquiries), and when customer service know little more than the customers, or less in some cases.

Since the major upgrade our Sony 49X8309C is still a bit rough and slow: navigation in the epg seems more responsive but now it flicks on/off/on again at first entry but, apart from that, we have noticed no difference. We still only want the recording feature we bought it for, and guess it would be bearable if reliable recording could be delivered according to a solid new committment. After the let down it is especially disappointing that none has been forthcoming...

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Anyone notice when 3D is on the format:full screen keeps popping up in the left hand corner? Really annoying