Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@mk1.golf.1983 

to the best of my knowledge, you have to have a drive dedicated to the Tv. The files on it are encrypted to prevent export to other sets / devices. When you attach the drive and register it with the Tv it will format the whole drive and not just a partition. I had to use my PC to reformat the whole drive before it was recognised and registered.

your interpretation of the press release is how I see it. I don't recall seeing pause rewind in the online manual.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

Hi If I do a factory reset do I lose all my downloaded apps such as Kodi?

Also does anyone know why when i switch on my dvd recorder the tv does not automatically change the channel to the recorder I have to go into action menu then sync to select currently connected devises. This is the first TV tht does not automatically switch to the recorder when it is turned on.

Thanks

rsyboye
Explorer

Had a proper explore and test in John Lewis today.

The assistant was super helpful, very knowledgeable and quite candid.  His advice reinforced everything from reading this message thread.  I've no doubt, the sony andoird sets have been causing them more issues tand headaches than making a sale on them was worth.  I could get lucky and get a set that works fine, I haven't got the stomach for the fight, cba to think about continuous resets and updates non stop.  However, the sticking point for me isn't that the Sony system has niggles/problems but how the company has dealt with the issues over what seems to be an inexcusably lengthy period.  

I'm likely going to buy a  Samsung UE55JS8000.  I took my own content in, had a good play & was particularly interested to see how different sets handled upscaling & motion with some football.  The Sony and Samsung stood above the LG and Panasonic sets in my subjective non scientific opinion.

Android TV does appeal but I'll more than likely just use a FireTV 4k box to sideload apps that I would have looked forwards to integrating with the Sony panel.

Sony you've dropped the ball.  I'm 'out' before I even got 'in'!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  Wishing you all the very best of luck!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@paulryan37

Hi you will lose all apps if you do a factory reset.

The other is a software bug!.If you have an audio system you will find that the audio will be from the last selected source and the picture would be  from the previous one!!

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

paulryan37

Try pressing the Home button on the remote and scroll down to Settings>External Inputs>Bravia Sync Settings>Bravia Sync Control (set this to ON)>Auto Input Change (set this to ON)  then TV on the remote to exit and try changing sources or switching the DVD recorder ON from standby.

Hope it helps

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Has anyone noticed that lip sync is way out of wack with latest update. Before I had to set 80ms delay on my Sony 1050 AV receiver. Now nothing seems to work, I can set it to HDMI auto and it is nearly there but Sky, YouTube and Netflix are still screwed up. 

It was perfect before latest update?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@rsebre

@rsebre wrote:

I'd love to be able to control my home, such as light ect by just talking to my tv.

This is doable now. I have Philips Hue lights controlled by Tasker via Google Now voice commands from my phone. And probably talking to your phone is eaier than shouting at your TV?

This refers- http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/tasker-project-to-control-philips-hue-t3071719

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

paulryan37

Try pressing the Home button on the remote and scroll down to Settings>External Inputs>Bravia Sync Settings>Bravia Sync Control (set this to ON)>Auto Input Change (set this to ON)  then TV on the remote to exit and try changing sources or switching the DVD recorder ON from standby.

Hope it helps

Sorry thanks for trying to help but already set up like you said

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

Lip sync spot on sound through a Sony HT-XT100 soundstage.

TV seems to be far more responsive after todays firmware update fingers crossed it is now fit for purpose. Youview faster, all menus work as soon as the set is switched on.

Not interested in HDD recording or picture in picture etc so not bothered if these work perfect or not.

orientboy
Explorer

Still have the Bluetooth issues with new firmwear

Bluetooth randomly switches off and wont let me switch on without resetting it

which means the touch controller wont work

what a farce this is. A top range TV that does not do as it says