Join now - be part of our community!

battery heat issues with latest system update

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

battery heat issues with latest system update

XPERIA PRO-I

Have submitted below to Sony support.  wanted to make others aware to either confirm if they have also updated or avoid if they havent yet.

=======================

installed 61.2.f.0.191 earlier today.

device now immediately heats up in normal (light) use when it never did before so that it is too hot to hold. battey also dropping about 1% every minute or so.

i have the battery care set to always and 80% and usually keep the charge between 50-80% so the battery has always been taken care of. this has literally only started immediately after this last system update.

please investigate this URGENTLY - consider pulling the update so others cannot install it, investigate and send out a new version ASAP.

This has made my phone unusable. I do not want to either burn myself or risk battery/phone damage or even fire! I am therefore powering my phone off.

Again, I repeat that this immediately happened only after the system update.

67 REPLIES 67
profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

above is screenshot of battery usage

you can see my previous normal usage on the left.

having applied the systems update you can then see battery usage going vertically downwards!

after that you can see when i've completely powered off the phone, but whenever it's power on again then immediately the vertical drop as battery is rapidly used.

(i've boosted the battery while powered off.)
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @xperiaproiuser 

Thanks again for the info :slight_smile:

Just to let you and @Rduppen  know, none of us here work for Sony.

We are all just volunteers that help our fellow Sony product users although some of us

have access to be able to report or escalate matters to Support.

I will wait to see what they reply to you before I escalate as it may be the same Support staff that are responding to you that will deal with my escalation.

Hopefully your latest response to them will start things moving in the right direction for you and Rduppen.

I will keep an eye on this thread :slight_smile:

profile.country.RO.title
AndraOpris
Explorer

Hello,

Same problem for my XPERIA 5IV. Since yesterday, immediately after the software update the phone.is heating up and the battery is draining very fast. I have opened a case, and they replied that I should use Xperia Companion app and do a software repair. I haven't used this app before, but I'll give it a try.

profile.country.FI.title
Mayday
Explorer

Hello,

I have the same problem with Xperia 5 IV. I installed the new update yesterday and the problem started immediately. The battery drains very quickly and the phone gets so hot that you can't even touch it sometimes, especially if you try to use the camera.

I also noticed that a new blank app appeared on the home screen after the update. I can't see any information about the app, if I try I just get an error page in the Play Store. The application cannot be deleted either. I haven't installed any new apps myself recently.

This is a really big problem, the expensive phone is unusable.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@AndraOpris @Mayday 

Thanks for your additional reports.

@jumpsuit 

That's now four of us across three different phones:

XPERIA PRO-I
Xperia 5 iii
XPERIA 5IV
Xperia 5 IV

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@AndraOpris 

Do let us know if you have any success with the Xperia Companion software repair.

It was one of the steps Sony gave in their standard reply to me but I didn't try it myself.

To be honest I'm doubtful about it, but if you have success then we'd have a solution.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@AndraOpris @Mayday 

Rduppen was able to do a "me too" option so that it reports (currently) one other user has this problem (in addition to me).

I don't know how the two of you can also notify of a "me too" issue, but if you can somehow then that could help further flag the issue.

profile.country.RO.title
AndraOpris
Explorer

Yes, I also have the blank app bullet and same error Google play message appears when trying to open it.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Ah, I also have a blank circle app.

Hadn't noticed it before since I have my frequently used apps on the phone screen so hadn't swiped up to get the whole app screen before until now.

When clicking the app I get "Google Play Something went wrong Try again"

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Have just gone into Play Store and updated all my apps.  Re-booted the phone afterwards for good measure.

Blank circle app still there.

Phone still getting hot and draining battery quickly.

I did a scan for harmful apps and it didn't detect anything.