Join now - be part of our community!

Finding subtitles on Bravia XR 42A90K

Finding subtitles on Bravia XR 42A90K

Why does it have to be so difficult to locate subtitles on this TV?  Yes, there is a button on the remote control but it doesn't work for streamed stations or apps. At some point I saw an option on settings which said there are different settings for broadcast or streamed but I cannot find it again as it was buried deep in one set of settings or another. Then, while watching ITV X I found I could turn subtitles off within the programme content.  At 81 and with hearing difficulties I would have liked something a lot simpler...but it's the kind of thing you can hardly expect a salesperson to know. And there are times when I don't want subtitles on because in a live programme eg the news, they lag behind too far to be of any use.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The subtitle settings are not buried that deep.

Press the Settings button on the remote control.

From the onscreen menu scroll left to Settings.

Click on Channels & Inputs> Preferences (Channels)> Subtitle Settings.

The sub menu will display options for Broadcast and Streaming & other content.

Set those two up for subtitles.

The subtitle button on the remote can only show or hide subtitles on broadcast content.

Apps and streaming services will probably have their own settings which can provide subtitles.

It's very difficult for a manufacturer to have a one button solution for all the alternative ways

there are to watching content on TV's these days.

If you are watching Live TV then the button on the remote will show /hide subtitles.

Subtitle settings can also be accessed via Settings(remote)> Settings(onscreen)> System> Accessibility.

As for live TV like the news then it can be forgiven that the poor person sitting at a desk with a pair of headphones on watching and listening to the same broadcast as you is a little behind as they furiously type out the words you can hear/ not hear and only for it to be less than a few seconds out. As it is broadcast Live news then the button on the remote will switch them off for you if the delay is too much.

Perhaps live subtitles are done by Artificial Intelligence.

In the future Artificial Intelligence will do the TV watching for you, and then in the morning wake you up with a cold cup of coffee and a piece of cake and tell you, that episode of Emmerdale you wanted to see was rubbish and not worth watching, and I can't possibly tell you what was on the news as it was so terrible I can't risk upsetting you.

In these modern times it is atrocious to have all these choices.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Just a wee quickie, you posted your question under the Xperia> X series heading in the Sony Community.

The X series is a computer.

It would have been more appropriate to have posted under the TV & Home Cinema section particularly the Android TV sub section.

Click here, https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bd-p/Android_TV