Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia L4 question

profile.country.GB.title
motormadmarc
Explorer

Xperia L4 question

Hi guys.

I have just bought a Sony Xperia L4 and I have a question that I hope somebody can please answer for me. Basically, after watching some reviews on the Xperia L4 on YouTube, the biggest gripe with the L4 seems to be that the operating system runs with Android 9. Where as most other android phones up until recently run with Android 10. And I also believe that Android 11 has recently been released as well. 

So my question Is please, what will be the disadvantages of running Android 9 rather than Android 10? Does It really matter? And also, does anybody know or have any Info If there are any future plans for Sony to update the L4 to Android 10 sometime In the near future? 

Thanks guys. 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

My guess is that if L4 is still on 9 it will remain that way.

The one disadvantage of being out of updates is that the latest security patches won't land on your device.

Problem is that smart phone producers only announce new updates after they're released.

Let's say it this way: as long as there is no negative statement there's always hope.

profile.country.GB.title
motormadmarc
Explorer

Thanks for the reply and Info Strampke. 

I've also been In contact with Sony customer services this morning and they confirmed that there will not be any updates to android 10 for the Xperia L4. They did however also confirm that security and other Important updates will be available. But what they couldn't tell me was for how much longer. But as the L4 sells for such a low price, I don't think for me personally It's a problem 🤔

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I believe security patches continue to roll out on devices for 2 years and then they stop. And for being on Android 9, issues could start to appear later with third party apps when they start not supporting older android versions so you will start to have a range of incompatible apps that you can use , but with these devices i believe that'll happen after a while.

profile.country.GB.title
motormadmarc
Explorer

Thanks for the reply and Info. 

But as I've only just got the Sony Xperia L4, I've now decided to send It back and buy another budget priced phone Instead. The phone that I'm looking at now Is the Samsung Galaxy A41. It runs on android 10 and has got many good reviews considering It's price.

Thanks again 👍

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You're most welcome and good luck with your new phone :slight_smile: