Join now - be part of our community!

Alpha/Nex and the PS4

Bieomax

Alpha/Nex and the PS4

Just wondering does anyone know if Sony are going to add any functionality to the new PS4 to allow us to plug in our camera's to the ps4 and do some basic editing, like a ps4 port of the Sony Image Data converter?

As I think there would be some potential to gain Alpha/Nex/ other Sony camera customers/consumers if the cameras are usable with the system as it would add a creativity avenue. as I'd love to also see the pc remote control capability included (although I'd need to change my A33/57 to a remote/tethered capable camera)

anyhow my mind is wandering in many directions on what could be capable from the system if Sony decide to put some ingenuity & interconnectivity in.

what do you all think of the above? what else could Sony do to cement creativity between their camera's and PS4 ?

anyhow brain dump over.

Mark. 

4 REPLIES 4

I'm not sure why Sony would invest in image editing in a games console when most people who own one also have access to a computer where they can use the free software that comes with the camera or download excellent free software from the web???????

I can understand viewing pictures by the games console on TV for all the family to see but edit, no.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
Bieomax

I'd see it more as a diversifier, since the new ps4 is more traditional in terms of build to a pc, it should mean its easier to port software to it.

I'm not thinking of a photoshop level of software more of what's on offer with basic raw converter which you can tweak levels and do abit if spot healing or sharpening/noise reduction.

To me it's the same as been able to control my ps3 from my tv remote since they are both sony they talk to each other, and now sony have there phones which interface with their tv's. in my mind its a further extension of the Sony family.

It is not down to the hardware, that is not the important thing, it is the OS software and apps that count.  Writing an software app for a PS is not the same as writing a control app to make a remote work across devices.  Writing a photo editing app is a lot more detailed and I was not talking about Photoshop levels but the basic functionality to get by.

As I mentioned this is the domain for the computer for now and I would recommend using the free software that came with your camera and working on your computer.  Save the results to a CD/DVD and share via your PS if you want.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

The PS4 isn't a games console, nor is the PS3.     They are true multi-function home entertainment devices.