Join now - be part of our community!

Need help using telescope with DSLR-A550 camera

SOLVED
Mary61
Explorer

Need help using telescope with DSLR-A550 camera

Hi, I have connected my A550 camera to a Celestron Travel 70 telescope using a T2 Adapter.  Successfully taken  photos during daylight.  When trying to take a picture of the moon at night, all I can see in Live View is a spot of light.  I have tried focusing the moon through the telescope but I still get the same.  I also get the same when I try connecting the camera through the telescope's diagonal.

This is my first time of trying to use a telescope, so any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
marashfo

Hi Mary,

Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but would suggest having a look at this link on the subject.

http://cs.astronomy.com/asy/astro_imaging/f/16/t/45250.aspx

You could always post the same question there as the author seems very helpful 🙂

Good luck.

Martin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bieomax

i've not really any experiance with telescopes, but what shooting mode are you using ? (auto/M/A/P etc) also whats the light metering mode ?

as my initial thoughts could be that its metering is picking up on more of the darkness and causing it to blow out the brightness of the moon (this depending on your shooting mode?)

Kind Regards

Mark

Mary61
Explorer

Mark,

Camera was setup as follows:

Mode M

Manual focus set using the switch on the body of the camera

Timer 1/250

Centre weighted metering

AF area set to spot

ISO 400

Aperture Not set as connected to telescope

Hope that helps.

Mary

profile.country.GB.title
marashfo

Hi Mary,

Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but would suggest having a look at this link on the subject.

http://cs.astronomy.com/asy/astro_imaging/f/16/t/45250.aspx

You could always post the same question there as the author seems very helpful 🙂

Good luck.

Martin

Bieomax

yep, i'm struggling also, from what i've read it could be a case of your not being able to focus at the distance you need, so it suggests that you may need an extention tube or a barlow lens ?

another link

i hope you can get this sorted

Mark.