Join now - be part of our community!

New camera

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Chris2554
Explorer

New camera

I am looking to upgrade from a Sony compact camera DSC HX400V to interchangeable lens camera, I am a complete beginner so am loath to spend 1k+ on a whimsy, I generally take holiday adventures, and now retired have more time to spend doing what I like to do.  I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.  Its difficult to actually handle camera as most retailers no longer stock cameras they are all on line.

thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
psigley
Explorer

I found myself in a similar position to you and went for used options. I had A mount lenses from previous cameras so stuck with A mount which is fine for my ability and the time I have to invest in photography. You can pick up an A77ii for reasonable money and then check out the lenses you want from a variety of sources/brands - I used Samyang/Sony/Minlota/Tamron - all amount. For wildlife I use a second hand Tamron 150-600mm zoom which is a fairly low cost entry.

You might find that whilst interchangeable lenses are great for learning on coupled with a couple of courses on using cameras in manual, you might end up reverting to using cameras just in auto

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
GordonT

I would suggest the A6700, a bit over your budget but the latest camera in the A6000 series. Offering great AF and features. If you want a full frame then the A7iii is reduced in price at present but hasn't had any firmware updates since 2021.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a6700-review

profile.country.GB.title
Chris2554
Explorer

Thank you for your help, will take a look.

profile.country.GB.title
psigley
Explorer

I found myself in a similar position to you and went for used options. I had A mount lenses from previous cameras so stuck with A mount which is fine for my ability and the time I have to invest in photography. You can pick up an A77ii for reasonable money and then check out the lenses you want from a variety of sources/brands - I used Samyang/Sony/Minlota/Tamron - all amount. For wildlife I use a second hand Tamron 150-600mm zoom which is a fairly low cost entry.

You might find that whilst interchangeable lenses are great for learning on coupled with a couple of courses on using cameras in manual, you might end up reverting to using cameras just in auto