Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5 locked in focus mode

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Aarflot
Visitor

NEX-5 locked in focus mode

Hello,

When I start my NEX-5 it automatically goes into focus mode with out me triggering the focus trigger. In this mode it is locked in its focus until I push the trigger and snap a photo only for the camera to return to focus mode  directly after taking a photo and giving me no chance to do anything. Furthermore the three option buttons are not functioning. The right bar on the display with the two cusomizable buttons and the button in the center of the scroller is completly black, giving me no meny option to change settings.

This gradually developed, first the camera insisted on autofocusing on startup but since my personal settings included an automatic photo display after a captured photo I could get into the meny through the "photo view" settings. Then I changed into manual mode which worked, and then tried to reset all the setting to facture default, which then resulted in the camera giving me no photo preview after capturing a photo, leaving me no option at all!

I have tried updating the camera software from Version 4 to 5 today with no result what so ever.

This is suspicioulsy close to a "automatic bug" planted by Sony to make my buy more.. I am rather upset at the moment, any suggestions on how to deal with the problem. Might there be a hardware problem (thus my fault) or is it purely a softhware issue..

Thanks for replies!

Tags (4)
7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
warriorfullight
Visitor

What is exactly the type of focus mode are you using? I suggest using the flexible shot for that. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-16/icon_smile2.gif

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Aarflot
Visitor

I am sorry but I am not sure I understand your question entirely. I have also been using Semi-auto mode for the focus and that is when it stated suddenly locking itself on the correct focus point the moment of start up. Then I swithced to manual which worked but the three option buttons are still gone..

Thanks for answering though!

Mick2011
New

Hi Aarflot

The camera is designed to constantly seek a near-focus point, in order to compensate for the contrast-detect AF, which would otherwise be considerably slower than phase-detect. Most of the faster contrast-dtection AF systems work this way. It's a little odd at first but you do get used to it, or you can select 'manual' if you don't :wink:

Your soft key issue is possibly due to not using a P A S M shoot mode; without that you'll often only have greyed-out menu options in the right-hand panel. In movie mode there's nothing at all... or is this happening in all shoot modes?

Mick

profile.country.fr_FR.title
soufianekh
Visitor

Hello,

I have the exact same problem as Aarflot on my Sony NEX5.

My camera sometimes (and its more and more reccurent) gets locked in all possible way. The focus mark is green and the only things i can do is shoot or turning off the camera by taking of the battery.

This is happening in all non auto mode (PASM). The only workaround i've found so far is to disable the auto-focus. Otherwise, the camera stays locked and there is absolutely nothing i can do.

It's like if i'm pressing on the button... But without even touching it.

I'm as well really upset since i'm taking extremly good care of that camera. Never felt or anything, always in its dedicated sony travel bag when not in use...

Is there anything i can do ? How long is sony NEX product warranty ?

Thanks y'all

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello soufianekh - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

First of all, I could recommend doing a full reset of the camera to see if this helps. This can be done by going to the settings menu, and then selecting 'Reset Default.'

If this doesn't work, the standard manufacturer's warranty on this product is usually 12 months. To see if it would be covered for a repair, I would suggest contacting Sony Customer Services for more information. Their details can be found on the following page:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/dime

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

which lens are you using?

mengsel
New

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Nex 5N: when I turn the camera on, it immediately starts focussing. As a result the menu buttons disappear. Turning it off and on again does not work. There's no way to cancel it, or to solve the problem. It just persists permanently.

The only way to get into my menu again is to turn off the device, detach the lens, take out the battery, press shutter for 20 seconds, reinsert the battery, leave the lens off and turn it back on. But the moment I re-attach my camera the problem starts again.

I tried updating firmware, but there hasn't been a release since 2013 and I've got that one already. Also no way to force-flash the firmware. No fixes to be found on the forums either. Any tips are welcome.

Very frustrating!