Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 6 apps unavailable

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
odainiq
Visitor

NEX 6 apps unavailable

I just got my nex 6 today. All in all it is a nice camera, although i am used to DSLRs. I was really amazed by the wifi capacities of this camera but..... i cannot use the apps by the simple reason that they cannot be downloaded in the region i live right now (Czech republic). So i am wondering, should i just go and return it or wait for some miracle to make the sony apps available in Prague? : Anyways, i feel really disappointed after spending 1000 Euros... :neutral:

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi odainiq, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Are you sure you've set up your SEN account with the correct region? Czech Republic is listed among the countries in the dropdown menu on the New Account page: https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/external/create-account!input.action?returnURL=https://...

I can't think of any reason they should be unavailable in your country :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

sebag70
New

I agree with you, the apps are usless for Slovenia also.

Dont know what is Sony,s problem but if they no react i will bring my nex6 back to shop.

Total disapointment on this but camera is super.

Mick2011
New

It may be there are regional restrictions in place at the moment but it does sound a little odd.

I have escalated your posts to the Technical Support team and will reply here with any response they come back with.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.fr_FR.title
anaphken
Visitor

Hey!

I just found your forum post !

I got myself a sony nex6 too!

I'm French but currently travelling the world for a year. i was in China when the Sony NEX6 show up and I just bought it out of a Sony store....

At first I didn't think too much about app and thank I can upload then later. So I try from china and nothing was working and because China stop all pay app for iphone and android I figured out that it was just because I was in China!

So after all I move to Australia and bang! I can't download app.... WHY? What the hell ? What is Sony problem offering some advertising on app over camera and dont allowed people to use these function in some country or because you bought a camera in a specific country

I use to be Nikon and DSLR photographer... i was enjoying moving to mirrorless camera and SONY because I thout these guys were a good brand... Now I'm kind of confuse....

I'm stuck with an amazing camera (it actually is) but I can not enjoy all the new features it can offer me.... That sad... i hope some people from SONY technical can read these lines and show up with an explanation and solution!

I just saw online that SONY purpose a new firmware for the NEX 6 but could I upgrade from chinese firmware to european firmware!? Does that could work?

Mick2011
New

Hi anaphken, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Although I have yet to hear back from the customer support team about the original query, the only odd thing there is that a camera marketed in Europe should be unable to download apps from the European site.

Unfortunately, in common with with other manufacturers, games developers and so on, Sony do operate a number of regional departments which are operationally independent. Cameras are 'locked' to the region in which they are bought and it's not normally possible to update or interact with other regions; your camera's guarantee, for example, will only be valid in China.

Sad to say, I think it's unlikely you'll be able to download European firmware or apps to your camera, although it should be possible to obtain the Chinese versions. I have heard of owners trying to update (eg) US-bought cameras with European firmware releases and having no success, so I wouldn't advise attempting it.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Some users have found out how to obtain the Apps if they are not available in your region:

1. Create an account. Choose e.g. German (or other region were the apps are available) in the area selection. This should allow you to install the free apps.
  2. Purchase a PlayStation Network Card. This card has to be purchased in same region as 1. (e.g. via internet)
  3. Use the code from the Playstation pre-paid card for purchasing the app.
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

here is the overview of countries were the camera apps are available:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbregions.php

Message was edited by: -Cass-

URL address was incorrect

profile.country.fr_FR.title
anaphken
Visitor

Looks like China is included in that list!!!!!

I didn't get everything with the Playstation network card you Cmosse talked about..... What that means?

Currently I don't have the app icon on my Nex6 menu

Mick2011
New

It looks as if the camera's country of origin (the place you purchased it) will affect its ability to access apps.

This would explain why there is no app icon on your NEX-6. It's probably a firmware-level facility, and as the apps are currently restricted to the regions that cmosse kindly provided a link to, we would have to assume cameras originating outside of those regions are not enabled for app download.

Cheers

Mick