Join now - be part of our community!

Play Memories Home creates loads of .modd files

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Play Memories Home creates loads of .modd files

Hi all,

I recenly had to reload all my software on my laptop so I downloaded all the latest versions of everything.

Notably, Play Memories Home has been updated and now whenever I import a file from a memory card (photo or video etc)  PMH is creating a .modd file for each file.

It also seems to be hell bent on going through my hard drive and adding .modd files for *all* my pics.

I don't want this to happen.  I use LightRoom to manage my files.

However, I like PMH's way of importing from memory cards so I'd like to stick with it.

Is there a way of stopping PMH from creating .modd files?  I can't see any options. Is there a registry hack or something?

Ps I'm using windows 7.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi Dione13

I’m afraid it’s not possible now and probably it won’t be possible, even, in future.

You can read in this thread on US Sony’s Community and in “WarningU2”’s post (http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Unwanted-modd-files-created-by-PlayMemories/td-p/1906...) the full answer and a possible solution (hide them!!!) given by the US Sony’s Support on that “issue”.

WarningU2 “suggests”, also, on his last post another solution(?): an older version!!!

Anyway, even PMB and previous PMH versions, were creating these files, but only for videos. Additionally, there were two or more big files under the folder:

C:\Users\xxUserxx\AppData\Local\Temp\

named .Sony_PMBrowser3000_BrowserDiskCache and .Sony_PMBrowser3000_BrowserDiskCache.idx

with all other info.On second and third PMH versions, these two files are much more smaller.

On third PMH version, .modd files became “essentials” and created for all photos and videos files.

Cheers

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You can safley delete them without losing any of the original pictures (or videos). I think I'm correct in saying they work a bit like cookies in a browser. Deleting them will lose previous editing information. It's a pity they weren't stored elsewhere - as hidden files. Sony needs to learn from all the people that are complaining about them!

Dione13
New

Argh!  I have deleted them and PHM is re-creating them again automatically right before my eyes. 

Please, please, please if anyone has worked out how to turn this off can they share

An optimistic thanks in advance 🙂

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi Dione13

I’m afraid it’s not possible now and probably it won’t be possible, even, in future.

You can read in this thread on US Sony’s Community and in “WarningU2”’s post (http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Unwanted-modd-files-created-by-PlayMemories/td-p/1906...) the full answer and a possible solution (hide them!!!) given by the US Sony’s Support on that “issue”.

WarningU2 “suggests”, also, on his last post another solution(?): an older version!!!

Anyway, even PMB and previous PMH versions, were creating these files, but only for videos. Additionally, there were two or more big files under the folder:

C:\Users\xxUserxx\AppData\Local\Temp\

named .Sony_PMBrowser3000_BrowserDiskCache and .Sony_PMBrowser3000_BrowserDiskCache.idx

with all other info.On second and third PMH versions, these two files are much more smaller.

On third PMH version, .modd files became “essentials” and created for all photos and videos files.

Cheers

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)