Join now - be part of our community!

sony a65

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
F1JHerbert
Visitor

sony a65

I an seriously thinking about buying the Sony A65 camera. It comes with the 18mm to 135mm lens. I'm also going to be buying the Sony 75mm to 300mm lens aswell.

I've always been a Nikon person when it comes to SLR's and DSLR's. I've got a D80 at the moment, which I love and I have had since 2007.

I am wandering what people honestly think ofthe Sony A65. I have read several reviews online and they all seem to be raving about it. Plus read reviews on Amazon etc from people who have actually purchased it.

I use my camera mainly for motor racing, flowers and landscapes.

Has anyone found any major faults or dislikes with the Sony A65?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello F1JHerbert - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You're correct in looking at Amazon to try and get a range of opinions about the A65 - I would also suggest looking on photography forums as well as you will see reviews / experiences from A65 owners as well as detailed feedback about how well it performs with certain lenses. dpreview.com is a popular site for this kind of content and one example from here is this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41703259

If you take a look around the forum, you will see feedback (and often example images) from owners of this model and a range of other cameras. There is also a good selection of sample images (including some shots of flowers) available here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a65_review/sample_images/

I hope this information is useful to you. You should also bear in mind that there are a range of lens mount adapters online for around £40-£50 (you may be able to find cheaper ones on eBay etc) that will allow you to use your existing Nikon lenses on a Sony A65.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello F1JHerbert - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You're correct in looking at Amazon to try and get a range of opinions about the A65 - I would also suggest looking on photography forums as well as you will see reviews / experiences from A65 owners as well as detailed feedback about how well it performs with certain lenses. dpreview.com is a popular site for this kind of content and one example from here is this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41703259

If you take a look around the forum, you will see feedback (and often example images) from owners of this model and a range of other cameras. There is also a good selection of sample images (including some shots of flowers) available here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a65_review/sample_images/

I hope this information is useful to you. You should also bear in mind that there are a range of lens mount adapters online for around £40-£50 (you may be able to find cheaper ones on eBay etc) that will allow you to use your existing Nikon lenses on a Sony A65.

Thanks,

Simon

F1JHerbert
Visitor

Hello Simon

Thank you very much for your help.

I have been reading various reviews from various online photography websites etc.

The links have been very useful

:slight_smile:

silawre
New

Hi F1JHerbert,

I had an A65 until I upgraded to an A77 and I have to say it never let me down and performed without question.  My partner now has it and she is enjoying every moment she is out with it.  The AF is fast and the IQ of the output is amazing, especially when teamed up with Sony's 70-300mm G series lens.  It is easy to use and configure and the options available are comprehensive.

My only dislike is that I find it a little to small when teamed up with a lens like the 70-300mm, the combination becomes front heavy. 

I'd recommend it without question.

Si

F1JHerbert
Visitor

Thanks Si,

I have read numerous reviews atc and none of them say said there is any MAJOR problems with it. 

I will be buying mine next week sometime.

Thank you both for your help and advice

Yours

Helen

profile.country.GB.title
A65Woodley

Hi

Sorry if this response is slightly late but I own an A65 and I love it.

I upgraded from the A300, which to be fair was still in good working order but I wanted to take advantage of a number of the new features, including the FPS rate and the improved access to settings such as white balance (available on both the back screen and the view finders).   I noticed immediately that a number of the buttons (including the Power On/Off) had been moved since the A300 and all of these changes help in making the camera easy to use.

I also have a 75-300mm lens, but do be honest I wouldn't buy it again.   It does a reasonable job but I found I was frequently switching between the 18-70 (came with A300) and the 75-300mm.   I solved the problem by buying the 18-250mm, which is fantastic - it's the one lens that's on my camera for the majority of the time.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Stuart

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Thanks for your thoughts Stuart. It is good to get some real life opinions from other users as it can be easy to get lost in a sea of reviews sometimes on the major retail sites :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums as well!

Simon