Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Nex6 wireless shutter release

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
periddi

Sony Nex6 wireless shutter release

Hi I have a Sony Nex6 camera and have been searching for a wireless remote to operate my camera / shutter, all I can find find are IR remotes that are ok if you are to the front or hang your hand over from back of the camera.

I know there is a  app that allows control of the camera using a smart phone but find this causes issues when no wifi signal hence the reason for a stand alone wifi unit.

Will Sony be marketing a unit that meets mine and possibly other persons out there requirerments??

I traded up from a DSLR and have no regrets as this camera is a fantastic all round piece of kit and apart from my problem listed would be 100% it has restored my confidence in taking photographs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bieomax

Hi Periddi

Wifi and telephone signal are 2 different things, the camera generates a wifi network which you can connect your phone to. so you could be somewhere without T mobile signal and still connect to the camera.

the peer to peer part is that the phone and camera are just on a network to only talk to each other.

it would be like having a Wifi router/modem in your home from your internet provider, the router part does the networking of all the local computers (say a desktop upstairs and a laptop downstairs) so they can happily talk to each other, transfer pictures and files between each other through the wifi network in your house, the Modem part is what connects your wifi group of computers to a wider network of computers (eg the internet)

so if you decided to you can unplug the telephone line (tmobile signal) to the router/modem(smart phone) and the internet wouldn't work But you can still use the wifi and have your computers still talk to each other and send files between them. (this is essentially what the phone and camera are doing)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

The Smart Apps don't require a router - they are peer 2 peer so your phone makes a direct connection with your camera. So this will work anywhere - https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-F00002 :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
periddi

Thanks for the reply, yes I agree you dont need a router to use smart phone with camera but you will still need a wifi signal to your phone nad this is my point the wifi supply through carrier i.e. T Mobile etc at times is not available in the landscape environment hence the need for a totally non reliant on carrier wifi shutter release equipment as used on the large DSLR camera manufacturers i.e. minolta - canon - nikon etc.

Bieomax

Hi Periddi

Wifi and telephone signal are 2 different things, the camera generates a wifi network which you can connect your phone to. so you could be somewhere without T mobile signal and still connect to the camera.

the peer to peer part is that the phone and camera are just on a network to only talk to each other.

it would be like having a Wifi router/modem in your home from your internet provider, the router part does the networking of all the local computers (say a desktop upstairs and a laptop downstairs) so they can happily talk to each other, transfer pictures and files between each other through the wifi network in your house, the Modem part is what connects your wifi group of computers to a wider network of computers (eg the internet)

so if you decided to you can unplug the telephone line (tmobile signal) to the router/modem(smart phone) and the internet wouldn't work But you can still use the wifi and have your computers still talk to each other and send files between them. (this is essentially what the phone and camera are doing)

profile.country.GB.title
periddi

Hi Bieomax
thanks for the explanation of how it works, tried it and yes it worked well away from a wifi signal.
cheers