Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Teleconverter 1.4 X

SOLVED
phconwa43
Explorer

Sony Teleconverter 1.4 X

I am about to buy a Sony 100-400 mm SSM 2 zoom lens for use on my Alpha SLA-77. Is the Sony 1.4 X teleconverter compatible with this lens? In particular will the lens work in Auto with this fitted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
phconwa43
Explorer

Thanks for that: I did not know of it, but now I'll read it up.

I've appreciated your help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Bieomax

do you mean the 70-400mm ?

if so the 1.4 TC is compatible

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SAL14TC/compatibility
Bieomax

Just to add further clarity, its compatible as so far that you can mount the lens to it, but the Autofocus on the camera won't be available as the TC will push the lens past a f6.3 which is the cap on sony camera's.

just means you'll need to manual focus, but then at least you have the focus peeking feature on that camera so shouldn't be too bad
phconwa43
Explorer

Thank you for your reply

Yes I meant the 70-400 mm lens, of course

I don't know what the Sony 'cap' is that you talk about. And surely the 1.4X adds one stop so that the lens moves from f4 - 5.6 to f 5.6 - 6.3, which is not BEYOND the stop you talk about but equal to it!? Can you clarify?

I don't have the lens yet: what is the 'peaking feature' you mention?

Many thanks

phconwa43
Explorer

A couple more points:

Reading the Sony literature, is there a risk that attaching this converter could lead to damage of the lens?

Also, I have a Kenko MC4 1.4 X teleconverter already. Given that the sony one will only work in manual, am I as well off just using this Kenko one, or is there any risk this could damage the lens?

At £1700, I cannot put the lens at risk!

Bieomax

I've not seen anything in Sonys documentation where it may cause damage to the lens? as the only reason they say about compatibility is that it knocks out the AF usage. i would probably say that its safer to use the sony TC rather then 3rd party if you want to be sure on avoiding lens damage.

Its due to the x1.4 is taken from the 5.6 f stop rather than the 4 f stop, so it pushes it over the threshold.

Dyxum have a abit more information which may help

Here

Kind Regards

Mark.

Bieomax

just in case too, where Dyxum refer to minolta you can count that as the same as Sony as Sony bought out Minolta's camera/lens division when minolta pulled out of the market place.
phconwa43
Explorer

Mark

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and the link to the US article. No problems with names - I started 30 + years ago with Minolta cameras hence now with Sony!

I must admit to being disappointed that the planned new lens will not work in Auto with a 1.4 X extender. I'm trying to consolidate my 70-300 Sigma and 170-500 Sigma into one better lens, which I use heavily for wildlife, and it was for bird photos that I want to retain the Auto option.

Bieomax

arrrh my apologies, its hard to gauge through these places peoples experiances with the history of the A mount Alpha's.

I do wonder too why there is a cap on the minium lens f value?

i can't comment much on the AF side of things now as its been about a year since i've taken the pellicule mirror out of my A57, i just use focus peeking and the focus zoom to get what i need, but then i dont do a serious amount of birding.

phconwa43
Explorer

Mark

Thanks for your further thoughts.

But I cannot resist asking: what is 'focus peeking'?

Phiip