Join now - be part of our community!

The curious case of the disappearing firmware updater

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
scon4061
Visitor

The curious case of the disappearing firmware updater

I'm trying to install the long awaited NEX-7 firmware. I use a Mac and I have followed the instructions to the letter.

Once downloaded from ths site on to my computer, I double click on the firmware updater. The installation box appears for about 5 seconds, but then just disappears, never to be seen again. I don't know what's going wrong.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm getting really fed up now.

Regards

Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gedankencoax
Visitor

Hi Steve

I also use a Mac the OS is Lion - I also tried to upgrade using a Mac Book.

Did you try saving the .dmg file downloaded to the desktop and then try to install it from there !

I did manage to download the .dmg file and also got it to open up. However that is as far as it went. It looked as though the Mac connected to the camera but then the app stated that it was unable to proceed and told me to try all over again. I gave up after several reboots and upgrade app reinstalls. Dug out an old MS PC from the shed and it upgraded straight away using the downloaded .exe file. Macs are a bit weird at times dependant on which OS your using. Think it is some thing to do with the USB drivers not being recognised. This problem seems to be progressively getting worse at each Mac OSx upgrade. Probably for the quickest and least stress situation is to borrow an MS PC

All the best

John

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gedankencoax
Visitor

Hi Steve

I also use a Mac the OS is Lion - I also tried to upgrade using a Mac Book.

Did you try saving the .dmg file downloaded to the desktop and then try to install it from there !

I did manage to download the .dmg file and also got it to open up. However that is as far as it went. It looked as though the Mac connected to the camera but then the app stated that it was unable to proceed and told me to try all over again. I gave up after several reboots and upgrade app reinstalls. Dug out an old MS PC from the shed and it upgraded straight away using the downloaded .exe file. Macs are a bit weird at times dependant on which OS your using. Think it is some thing to do with the USB drivers not being recognised. This problem seems to be progressively getting worse at each Mac OSx upgrade. Probably for the quickest and least stress situation is to borrow an MS PC

All the best

John

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello scon4061 / Gedankencoax :slight_smile:

I am not a Mac user myself, but other Mac owners that I have spoken to often say that the version of the OS can affect the performance of USB related tasks. I can see why this causes frustration - especially when there are usually far fewer problems when using a Microsoft PC (although these aren't always 100% perfect speaking from experience). For a one-off situation like this where you can install the new firmware, I would also advise you to find a Microsoft computer to save further aggravation.

This is far from an ideal situation when you consider the sheer number of Sony camera owners who use a Mac computer but at the same time it does help when forum threads like this get posted on the Sony Forums as it shows that there is a genuine demand for better compatibility with Macs. People who work in product development at Sony often look through these forums and if enough people all mention similar issues, there is a very good chance that this will be taken into consideration in future product and software development.

Thanks,

Simon

scon4061
Visitor

I used the kids Windows PC and the update worked straight away. Thanks.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Glad you got the firmware update to install correctly in the end.

Thanks,

Simon