Join now - be part of our community!

VCT-MP1 Multipod compatible with NEX-5?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
AndrewR92
Visitor

VCT-MP1 Multipod compatible with NEX-5?

I was looking at buying a tripod for my NEX-5D and I was going to go for the VCT-MP1 Multipod, however, in the description it says compatible for NEX cameras although it does not list it in it's 'Compatible Products' section. Is it compatible and what do people think of it?

Many thanks.:smileyhappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Pretty much all tripods by all manufacturers will fit, as the NEX-5 uses a standard quarter-inch mount. This, in fact, is your biggest problem: way too much choice :wink:

One thing to be aware of is that NEX bodies, being ultra-small by design, naturally provide a small surface area to mate with a tripod, compared to a 'normal' DSLR. This will only be a problem if you use heavier lenses, particularly if you have the camera in portrait orientation, as the grip between the two surfaces may not be enough to stop the camera drooping.

This can be fixed with one of a number of 3rd-party quick-release plates, such as this shaped-to-fit-NEX-5, 'always-on' one, designed to make that surface area bigger. Most of them are specific to the same brand of tripod, so be careful if you choose this route. In any event, try to get something with a head that has a softer rubberised mating surface, rather than hard plastic.

Apart from that, the range of choice of tripods open to you is almost as big as your choice of camera. You need to visit some camera shops... with a light camera, you can choose a relatively light tripod, but needs to be a hands-on evaluation, not something you can do over the internet. Pick one that:

- extends up to your eye level: they don't always!

- is lightweight without being flimsy: often rigidity increases with price...

- has decent-quality fastenings: these are often the first things to break

Finally: if you shoot a lot of video, don't get a ball-head... get a pan-and-tilt :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Andrew, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I just checked and there's no problem with NEX-5 compatibility :cool:

Among tripods the MP1 does well in terms of build quality and compact size. I'd get one if I was looking to save space, primarily, followed by portability.

While that chunky build and multi-accessories means it's all a bit on the heavy side, that might not be a problem for you unless you do a lot of hiking or whatever.

Not having the rigidity of a fully-extensible tripod I'd imagine I would end up using either tripod or monopod (rather than both together) most of the time. I tend to go with more lightweight monopods and heavier full-size tripods, and the tripod tends to stay in the car... YMMV, as they say.

As ever with these things, you should get down to a camera store and try one out for yourself.

Cheers

Mick

AndrewR92
Visitor

Thanks for that info! One last question, do all the other Sony tripods fit the NEX-5? I think I'd need something a bit more stable for shooting  on the beach etc. And not really needing anything too expensive as I'm only just starting out.

Thanks again.

Mick2011
New

Pretty much all tripods by all manufacturers will fit, as the NEX-5 uses a standard quarter-inch mount. This, in fact, is your biggest problem: way too much choice :wink:

One thing to be aware of is that NEX bodies, being ultra-small by design, naturally provide a small surface area to mate with a tripod, compared to a 'normal' DSLR. This will only be a problem if you use heavier lenses, particularly if you have the camera in portrait orientation, as the grip between the two surfaces may not be enough to stop the camera drooping.

This can be fixed with one of a number of 3rd-party quick-release plates, such as this shaped-to-fit-NEX-5, 'always-on' one, designed to make that surface area bigger. Most of them are specific to the same brand of tripod, so be careful if you choose this route. In any event, try to get something with a head that has a softer rubberised mating surface, rather than hard plastic.

Apart from that, the range of choice of tripods open to you is almost as big as your choice of camera. You need to visit some camera shops... with a light camera, you can choose a relatively light tripod, but needs to be a hands-on evaluation, not something you can do over the internet. Pick one that:

- extends up to your eye level: they don't always!

- is lightweight without being flimsy: often rigidity increases with price...

- has decent-quality fastenings: these are often the first things to break

Finally: if you shoot a lot of video, don't get a ball-head... get a pan-and-tilt :cool:

Cheers

Mick