Join now - be part of our community!

Wide angle hiccups

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Numchuk
Explorer

Wide angle hiccups

I have an A57 and have fitted a Sigma 10-20 f4-f5.6 lens but the auto-focus accuracy that I am getting is very hit and miss at the 10mm end of the zoom range. Has anyone else experienced this problem with a similar set-up?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

I used to own the non-HSM version of that lens and found the AF to be a bit hit'n'miss on my a700 and a77. I think it's because at such wide angles, nearly everything is nearly in focus nearly all the time. I settled for using Manual focus using the distance markers on the lens. If you set 10mm, f8 and focus to about 2m, more or less everything is sharp from about a meter away to infinity. Welcome to the wonderful world of hyper focal distances!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

I used to own the non-HSM version of that lens and found the AF to be a bit hit'n'miss on my a700 and a77. I think it's because at such wide angles, nearly everything is nearly in focus nearly all the time. I settled for using Manual focus using the distance markers on the lens. If you set 10mm, f8 and focus to about 2m, more or less everything is sharp from about a meter away to infinity. Welcome to the wonderful world of hyper focal distances!