Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
jain236

I may not offer any solution to the issues you facing.. but all i can say is ..Welcome to SONY :wave:

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Thanks Peter for your intervention and getting this fix from Sony / Amazon.  Great news.

adyjay33

Shame Sony cant fix the TV's as fast as Amazon does... Was it Sony that broke the UHD anyway?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@cozzykim wrote:

I sort of wish that I could have afforded to keep my Sony, as well as the new Samsung JU7000, because I'd grown quite fond of its quirks, in a 'Stockholm Syndrome' sort of way.

I do miss the seamless casting, and integration with other Android devices.

The Samsung also doesn't have the one click 'Homepage' that I'd got used to so, although it has a slick interface, I don't find it to be as 'top down' structured, and thus not as simple to navigate.

'Stockholm Syndrome' - I like that! But my set is a bit more like the Swedish Chef - Bork, Bork, Bork 🙂

Re integration, this even works with with iOS devices; I can link this iPad without an Apple TV interceding, at least to cast the BBC iPlayer and Netflix.

But anyone who thinks the Sony is easy to navigate is enjoined to press Home on the Touch remote, and then figure out how to watch a TV programme 🙂

i like my Smart TVs to be TVs first and Smart second, something these Sonys have rather lost sight of 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@alanxce wrote:

I just checked out the Amazon UHD service and it has returned. Thanks for resolving this issue.

II has indeed. But I wish I could convince myself that this is not just HD rebadged without justification 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ronniebr
Explorer

Thanks Peter.  Amazon UHD is working again for me.

c0001349
Explorer

Well, after only three weeks of ownership my Sony Bravia KN49x8309c + sound bar will soon be going back to the Sony Centre I purchased them from. I'm fed up after repeatedly encountering many of the issues mentioned in this post including:- lockups, v.slow menu response, poor lip sync and delayed HDD recording capability. The guy I spoke to in the shop offered a full refund almost straight away which suggests I'm not the first disappointed customer they've had to deal with. What's really frustrating is that I can see the potential of the built-in Youview solution - when it works it's great, but it often doesn't and the sluggish interface is just infuriating - it really shouldn't take 5-10secs for the guide/menu option to appear. I can't understand why HDDrecording is taking so long to deliver and why you won't be able to use it with Youview enabled. There are plenty of programes you can't watch on catch-up or might want to keep for viewing more than 7 days later - it just seems daft and guaranteed to annoy the customer that you can't have the option of both. Overall it's been a really disappointing experience. I thought Sony was still a quality brand but the Android software is clearly miles off being customer ready. I'll be keeping an eye on the forum to see if the stability/performance issues get resolved and HDD recording becomes a reality. If you're stuck with these problems I really hope they do.

jain236

Does anyone know samsung has HDD recording ready on its 4K TV's? 

profile.country.IE.title
EggDublin

Well, well well...

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/KD-55X8509C

Version 3.155 has just been released to the EU

elraouk

As I have no interest in Youview, I'd be tempted to set up a proxy just to get an eu version without it.