Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mattstev

Just tried to register for updates on software releases... Got the following message:

Sorry, there was a technical error - we couldn't process your request

Sums it up in my book!

adyjay33

Why bother anymore, they are not interested.

Time to take it back.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
sassbs
Explorer

@Peter_S Peter does this mean that Sony will fail to deliver the Amazon 5.1 fix by the 24th December? Again misleading customers with fake delivery dates. According to a senior VP at Amazon, Sony are using an outdated App and you have been sent new ones since May that you have failed to include hence the error message we got over the weekend the App was being turned off in stages until Amazon gave you some extra breathing room. Sent from Outlook Mail for Windows 10 phone
elraouk

Discussions on 5.1 from a long time ago indicated that we needed an upgrade from the current android version to support it. Not sure how true that is, but I do know DTS pass through doesn't work on plex and plex say this is due to the android version. 
stillymanj
Explorer

I've had the KD55X8509C for about 3 weeks now and I contemplating taking it back to Curry's. 

Whilst the picture quality is excellent, I've had real issues with compatibility with the other devices. I have real problems with it seeing my Youview set top box, endless resets of the TV and Youview seems to get it connected again.

The TV also can't see my Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player. This is Sony to Sony! The Blu-ray player screen pops up when you turn it on but then it then it displays the dreaded "No signal".  If i press the play button on the Blu-ray player, the disk plays and also appears on the screen.  If a play a normal DVD it will not display on the TV, but a Blu-ray will.  I have been advised by their support to factory reset the TV, which I have, but it still doesn't work.  It has also reset a few times when I have tried turning on the Blu-ray player and playing a disk.

For such a smart device, it seems to have many floors in it.  I don't expect this from a TV that has cost me £1,200. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Sony issues Log
Here is next promised update since Dec 10th update V2.645 AND a factory reset on 18 Dec.
1) 19th Dec. using YouView search, via the remote and on screen keyboard, the response is so slow, laggy and erratic it took me 4 attempts to enter a 3 letter search string. 
 2) 21st Dec. at the first switch on of the day, black screen with sound. Not responsive to remote commands after several minutes managed to get to Home Screen and Reset via About menu.
3) 22nd Dec. at first switch on.. displayed 'Cannot disply TV... might not be tuned' then after a few seconds it cleared and performed OK.

I'll add to the list as and when I discover more. I hope we do not have to wait for a proper bug fix until the end of March 2016, because significant issues still present.
I'm now using this forum as a log of all unexpected behaviours.

My supplier contacted Sony, who asked them to check that I had applied the 10th Dec update and if it fixed it. I confirmed it was not much better. They also ascertained that the HDD and PAP was delayed until March next year, and agreed this was not acceptable and recommend that I exchange it for a non-Sony brand of TV after the holidays, if I could keep it going through Christmas. If Sony are getting these calls and returns, why do they appear not to be getting the message, and restoring our confidence in their abilities to resolve issues, in a sensible timescale.  I guess they are spending all efforts in preparation for the CES event in January, which I will follow closely. I think we need a public apology and solution. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

I am currently keeping my 4K Android TV solely on the basis of the quality of the display but I have just received a Sony email about updates which states, "Sony always takes customer feedback into consideration, striving for innovation and overall product quality."

This is clearly ludicrous as Sony ignored customers for months, clearly did not have a product ready for the market but sold it anyway and sold a product they must have known to be deficient.  Any beta-testing of just a few days would show up faults in user interface and programming.  I don't see how they can justify their statement above.  After all why was the original product quality so shoddy if Sony are committed to quality and why have they acted so slowly and with zero transparency?  Even retailers are recognising this by providing refunds and dropping the price by almost 50%

A lot of the technology causing them issues is not new - the lack of Amazon 5.1 shows how little real thought and quality control went into what they started to sell.  I was told by Tech Support that would be fixed this month - clearly this was never true - just another unfounded statement to delay, shamefully eating up peoples' return and guarantee periods.

So, Sony, let's have more action, improvement and fewer meaningless statements like the above.  Waiting until February and March (respectively 9 and 10 months after my purchase) is scandalous and completely unacceptable.  Sony should realise it is abusing the trust and loyalty of its customers and accelerate its current glacial rate of progress.  After all, we are only asking for what Sony told us they were selling us.  I don't appreciate being misled and then strung along with "place holder", non-existent update promises.

mattstev

Is there anyone from Sony on this thread? If not, maybe we need to do some concerted tweeting which makes this slightly more public?

kevfarme

mattstev to answer your question yes, there is a Son employee on here.  He goes by the name of Peter_S.

kevfarme

A question.  Bearing in mind I seem to be in a rather privileged position of having rather good luck with my tv.  It seems to work ok.....  Should the tv come out of standby when I press the number buttons on the remote?  Currently it doesn't and this puzzles me as nearly every other tv I have had always does come out of standby thus.  I currently have to press the green power button to come out of standy.

My one and only problem I have had was the other day I went from the guide (not You View as I do not like the interface) to hopefully watch the Quest channel.  I got sound but no picture 😞  This went on for a a few minutes the only way of getting the picture back was to press the green power button (repeatedly) to put the tv into standby and then back on again.  This has happened only the once in the 3 weeks I have had the set.  I have minor annoyances when I go into the guide.  I get the guide screen but no sound from the currently selected channel for about 10 or 15 seconds, I have not timed it.  Then the sound will appear.  The same happens when I choose another channel from the EPG.  I do not know if this is normal?  Hopefully this will be cleared up with an update?

Other than the above I have to say I love my set X80C (49" 4k UHD).  I have not had any lip synch problems but then I don't use satellite input.  I do have a ROKU box coupled up to it via a hdmi cable which doesn't get used much now but when it does lip synch is fine.  I'm also not getting the odd/random switch off problem that others are sadly experiencing 😞

My feelings are that some of these problems are possibly cpu related coupled with poor coding of the OS.