Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mattstev

@kimboman84 Just tweeted my first ever tweet!

"@SonyUK - Android Bravia is not so smart. When will you fix the issues? #fixMyTVSony"

Let's see how it goes.

kimboman84
Explorer

Haha congrats on your first Tweet Matthew!

I just tweeted a few of my issues also. I tried to keep it to the issues and not a Sony bashing session. Hopefully that'll add a bit of credibility to our plea

#fixMyTvSony

Tags (1)
jain236

yaa.. same here.. went a step ahead and created a Poll also:smileysad:  #feelingCrazy

kimboman84
Explorer

I tweeted a link to this thread in case any Sony bigwigs spot the tweets and aren't aware of the issues.

#fixMyTvSony

Tags (1)
jain236

guys we need more tweets and support... if we really want sony to get sony attention on these issue.... only few wont help...

happy tweeting....

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

True, thought this for a while........ its all very well us moaning between ourselves and keeping it here within the confines of a Sony forum aint getting the message out there. Very convenient for Sony don't you think?

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Yes same problems here and as for tuning sats with disecq it is a nightmare.Strange thing is the usb record worked perfect on my previous 8 series tv so it appers Sony made a pigs ear releasing these sets before all the bugs were sorted.Only for the great pic and sound I would be tempted to send it back as not fit for purpose.cheers

frankie1g

No its a great idea 2 tweets done #fixmytvsony  Sent from my Samsung device
scoopy6

End of Term Report
Android.B.Sony
dob 16.7.2015
Serial number 6801979 
As shown by the following example, Sony has not been a good boy:
[In thread 2015 Android TV - Bugs and Issues]

"TV Guide Flickers

Problem:

TV Guide – When accessing the guide, it flashes on-off-on before you can use it.

Reported by:
Quinnicus
Dspencer999
Scoopy6

Updates:

16-10-2015 - Issue has been reported to Sony, awaiting feedback

20-10-2015 - Sony Engineers are conducting their investigations on this issue - further testing by Sony required as they are unable to replicate this currently"

It seems odd that this cannot be 'replicated' but this is just one more small irritation, like the controls for recommendations which are confusing and seem to depend on an individual setting for each app, and the inability to do page-up/down in the guide.

In fact the Guide glitch does not just occur when 'accessing the guide' and it is either the image of the guide, or the image of the last Tv channel, which is  momentarily but inconsistently displayed when accessing or leaving the guide. It is certainly untidy and from a practical point of view it adds to the variable delays when the Tv tries to switch between processes and displays.

As with other issues, the inconsistency depends on what other actions the TV had just performed, but since July the problem has persisted after each update. There were comments here that someone had gathered it would be addressed in the October update. This seemed to indicate that the impression had somehow been formed that the Sony family had acknowledged the problem, while on 20.10.2015 this has apparently been contradicted!!

This is just one more small illustration of the frustations which have arisen from the way Android has left it to users to organise their own ways of trying to implement feedback, and the matching inadequacy of the Sony family's hints as to what is still to be fixed, while delaying promised major fixes and introducing stability updates without specifying what they are for.

At this stage he is really no more badly behaved than e.g. young Humax 9150 was at first. Humax is now an old boy but he is a delight to use. His responses to feedback made him a superb example of simplicity, reliability, and efficiency. In contrast, Android's parents' claims about 'support' have been far from the reality, and as far as we are concerned his updates have not yet produced any obvious improvement.

On the record so far no marks can be given for effort, Android must do what he says he will, and all round he must try a lot harder :yahoo:
49X8309C in uk
Deanfeuillade

I have just sent a lengthy email to the Daily Mail news story editor and placed a link to this forum so he can see for himself what a sham Sony are in the way they are treating us as customers.

I will do the same for as many UK based newspapers as I can find contact details for and thought that some of you might want to do the same.

The more avenues we use to get this debacle highlighted the better.

Cheers