Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Search for @SonyTV on Twitter and reply to the android tv tweets?
jain236

@rnbetsy  tweet : 

@rnbetsy wrote:
@Search for @SonyTV on Twitter and reply to the android tv tweets?

@sonyUK ************** #fixMyTvSony

** your issues or your pain with sonyTV 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

I got the last update installed and have no difference in the TVs system or its performance.

ive only had the tv for around 2 months, so I can't take it back now.

i only use this tv as a display for my PC, so I get the full 4K Windows 10 64bit exeperince.

any ideas as to when the next firmware comes and what it will bring?

Ive spent over £1000 on this and it feels Rubbish - apart from the 4K HDMI input from the PC

please help

kind regards

richard

Phil_123
Explorer

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and unfortuntely given up on my Sony Android TV (KD43X8309 CBU).

I took the set back to Currys and got a full refund- good outcome given I'd had the set since August.

Shame this firmware had been released far too early- maybe next year the bugs will be sorted out.

Just waiting now for the sales to find a replacement (non Sony!)

My main two issues-random HDMI video glitches + the screen format pop up.

+ Youview disabling Freesat functionality.

FYI I formally logged this issue with Sony in order to assist getting a refund.

Case ID- 13669618

Two videos showing the HDMI problem-

This is after the last software update, and after full factory default-

http://1drv.ms/1NH2MAy

This is what happened today-

http://1drv.ms/1S4zkd7

adyjay33

Where did you got to on the Sony Website to get the complaint in?

Do you have a link to it?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Phil_123
Explorer

Call Technical Support on 02073652810. Log your case with the support person- they will probably want to run through various checks with you. I then emailed them the video evidence which i posted in the previous post. The video also shows the software version I was using.

SingingDwarf

@lgcebr I don't know if you noticed, but the update to Article ID : 73499 today has dropped the line

Amazon Video support for 5.1 surround sound This feature will be available before 24th December.

Don't hold your breath!

The only way your going to get there attention is to raise the profile of this issue, they clearly don't care enough , let's make them care a little more, get all your friends to like and retweet as many of the #fixmytvsony or complaints to @sonyuk you can find, feel free to like and retweet all mine @pedroclark1234 

P

Oh dear.  Since I posted a few days ago about issues I was having with my brand spanking new (purchased Currys 10th December) KDL-43W809CBU my Inbox has been bombarded with notifications about more posts against this thread - and a couple at least saying they are sooo glad they have taken their Bravia back within Currys 30 day return period.

Well I haven't yet - though it was boxed and in the car when I was in Currys yesterday.

But I was persuaded not to return it by a guy who explained a lot about the issues Sony were having with these TVs and how they were resolving them.  He also told me that I was having 'smearing' problems with action (football specifically) because I was supplying the TV signal to the TV through coaxial - and coaxial won;t support 1080 HD.  I don't know if that is guff or not - but I accepted it because the picture quality from my Sony BluRay player connected by HDMI is indeed very good - and so his coaxial arguement stacked up and so went and bought (on his recommendation) a YouView box as that will resolve the coaxial problem and I should get a much improved HD picture.  Which I seem to be getting - but of course what I want to see I might see...

Putting aside for the moment problems I'm having switching between the YouView TV feed and the BluRay feed; and an alnalgue Sky Box feed - and struggling with multiple controls - including the one for my nice new Sony SoundBox HTXT1 (btw I've tried setting my YouView cobntrol for the TV with limited success)

Now though the 'lip sync' issue I had seems less pronounced at the moment - I still get 'TV sound' for quite a few seconds afcter switching off the set and the screen is blank.  And I found a new fun quirk.  After getting YouView box connected and switching between YouView boix and BluRay player all of a sudden I had Gillian Anderson (it was Bleak House) speaking very slowly in a very deep voice.  Bizarre.  Did a bit of switching between TV and BluRay player and it went.

But this fills me with ongoing fear that I have been sold a pup...and even if there are aspects of the TV that I like - I should really take this pup back - especially as I am only two weeks into Currys 30 day return period.

Help.  I am sooo non-tech (with all the chat here about software releases and configurations) and this is just too much - all I want is a bleeding decent TV...

Help

julianblack

Hi. If it is the coaxial feed into the TV that is the problem how do you get the TV signal into the YouView box? Sounds like typical technobabble used to sell an unsuspecting punter some unnecessary extra kit. To be honest, the 2015 range of Sony Android TVs aren't fit for purpose and I'm very happy that I've returned mine and got a LG set that fully works as advertised. Just my humble opinion. Sent from my iPhone