Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
frankie1g

Don't keep this then mate. Sent from my Samsung device
Phil_123
Explorer

I had the set since August, and the firmware still wasn't good.

You can twitter all you want- but I think the ultimate way for consumers to make the point is return the TV and get a refund. Money talks- returned sets is lost money.

You always get problems with early version software, Sony's 2016 sets might have ironed out the issues.

Currently looking at LG, Samsung and Panasonic TV's as replacements. Pity OLED's are so expensive.

profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

Just bear in mind with Currys you can return the TV without reason, e.g. you don't like it, if you notify them within 14 days of purchase as long as it is in "as new" condition in original packaging.  

Scallygally
Explorer

How can you demand a refund when Currys point you in the direction of Sony? Sent from my Samsung device
Brigante01

@Phil_123I thought I was the only one with the jerky picture issue. I have it a lot worse than you though. It only happens sometimes and the only way to clear it is to put the tv in standby and back on.

I'm using my set as a computer monitor so thought it was something to do with my graphic cards but seeing it on yours confirms it's the TV itself.

I will try to get it on video next time it happens.

malcolm1962

@Scallygally wrote:
How can you demand a refund when Currys point you in the direction of Sony? Sent from my Samsung device

Just point out your rights. Plenty of people, like me, got a full refund from Currys outside of the 30 day period. Don't be put off by their staff, they typically know nothing about consumer rights (about as much as they know about the stuff they actually sell).

malcolm1962

@HenryHallsDanceBand wrote:

But I was persuaded not to return it by a guy who explained a lot about the issues Sony were having with these TVs and how they were resolving them.  He also told me that I was having 'smearing' problems with action (football specifically) because I was supplying the TV signal to the TV through coaxial - and coaxial won;t support 1080 HD.  I don't know if that is guff or not - but I accepted it because the picture quality from my Sony BluRay player connected by HDMI is indeed very good - and so his coaxial arguement stacked up and so went and bought (on his recommendation) a YouView box as that will resolve the coaxial problem and I should get a much improved HD picture.  Which I seem to be getting - but of course what I want to see I might see...

That is the most laughable piece of nonsense I've heard from a Curry's employee. He has downright lied to you and pursuaded you to part with even more cash for something you simply do not need in relation to the problem you seem to be having (unless you actually want the functionaility of a Youview box). I had one of these sets before I got Currys to give me my money back and I also have a BT Youview Box (Humax) and I can categorically tell you that it makes no difference whatsover to the quality of either SD or HD pictures. If I were you, I would be straight back down there and demand a refund on both the TV and the YouView box and if they put any resistance threaten to report them to Trading Standards. They won't have a leg to stand on.

kimboman84
Explorer

It looks like the @SonyUK Twitter handle has replied to every single tweet they have received today (including replying to Tweets just a few mins ago) with the exception of anyone who has tweeted them using #fixMyTvSony. This means they are either explicitly ignoring these people (unlikely) or more likely they have realised there are now multiple people using a common hashtag and it's maybe being escalated internally. Who knows. Wait and see I guess. Seems unusual that they would ignore every single tweet using that hashtag unless they were aware of this thread. Let's keep the tweets going in the hope that it drives some sort of response/acknowledgement.

#fixMyTvSony

Tags (1)
clivecheshire
Explorer

I purchased a new Sony Bravia KDL-43W755C 43" LCD Android with YouView (manufactured Oct 2015) on 12 Dec 2015 that came with YouView loaded on the TV. It seems to work fine for current and future programmes but will not display OnDemand programme listings from previous days for BBC Iplayer etc as it says `Information unavailable`. I have tried everything, gone through the entire setup again, and tested my wireless internet connection which is fine at 25mbps download speed and the TV settings confirm its connected to the Internet. My ISP is BT Infinity.

I checked the YouView website for some help: I did a soft power reset. I then went into the Guide and the channel logos have now replaced the plain text that was indicating the channel names, and importantly the programmes for previous days are now listed. I clicked on a BBC programme from 4 days ago and it fired up BBC Iplayer and started the programme as you would expect !
However.... I then exited the Guide then re-entered the Guide to select the same programme and this time it didnt work - instead it displays a screen that says `Welcome to your BT Hub which is working, select Get Started to go to next screen to Login`. I tried do that but whatever button I select on the Remote it doesnt do anything (tried the OK, >, Home buttons). If I attempt to view ITV, C4 or C5 it does the same. I also loaded BBCIplayer manually from the apps on the Home screen and the same happens. 
I can select the YouTube selections from the Home page, the internet is accessed and the videos play ok, so access to the internet seems to be working.
Its as though something is preventing me accessing the OnDemand apps hence the BT screen appearing asking me to Logon, which it wont let me do.
I later went back into the Guide, and all the programmes for previous days that were displayed are now gone, back to the way it was previously, Ive not done anything that could have caused this, as I havent turned the power off, and its still connected to the internet.

I assume nothing is going to get fixed immediately, and will have to await software upgrades - its unacceptable to put a product on the market that is unfit for purpose !

Macmac28
Explorer

@Scallygally wrote:

I returned my Sony TV to Currys after 7-8 weeks, although there was a bit of chasing around regarding who was taking responsibility for it I eventually got my money refunded.

I was like yourself in that I wasn't sure what my rights were or how to get it exchanged as it was over Currys 30 days returns policy, but after reading hundreds of posts on this thread the common consensus was that as things stand this TV was clearly mis-sold / falsely advertised compared to the product received, and in that situation asking for a full refund is a reasonable response.

It was also noted by other users that it would still be reasonable to ask for a refund in this situation up until 12 months after purchase and if any retailers tried to refuse a refund (ie Currys) then there would be recourse for a Small Claims settlement, one poster made the recommendation that if they do refuse a refund then ask them for a letter detailing the reasons why they are refusing the refund and make sure that they know the letter is for the purpose of initiating a small claims case against them. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information but it was enough for me to get up off the couch and get my hard earned cash back.

Other posters have also had their money refunded by credit card companies as the purchase was made through them, again on the false advertising issue.

It would be easier if all the information was in one post as it can be pretty hard on the eyes trawling nearly 400 pages looking for information!

As there will be differences between different posters, date of purchase, model of TV, etc, you should tailor the information to your situation, personally I would recommend demanding a refund on the basis of mis-sold / falsely advertised. These are the issues I reported.

No HDD recording functionality.

No PIP/PAP.

Exclusive use of either Youview or Satellite tuner features.

When Youview is disabled there is no access to two on-demand services, namely ITV Player and 4OD.

All of the above features were advertised both on their website and the product box.

The website has been changed several times to reflect the lack of these features, it's obvious that with more people returning these TV's the information on the website is being updated accordingly.

My chain of events were as follows:

Purchased TV late October.

Returned TV mid December.

Visited store were purchase was made.

> Fobbed off to knowhow phone support.

>> Phone support unable to resolve issue as item was paid for in store and not purchased via website.

Visited store for second time.

> Explained issues detailed above to sales, they agreed to take tv back for refund and were sympathetic (couldn’t believe it!)

Visited store for third time, (with tv in tow)

> Expecting direct refund as per conversation on previous visit.

Fob Off 1 - Sony are sorting the issues via firmware.

Fob Off 2 - They'll exchange the tv with another product from the Currys range.

Fob Off 3 - They'll give me a gift / voucher card for the purchased amount.

2hrs later I walked from the store with my cash in pocket.

You have to be firm with them and stick to your guns and you shouldn’t have any problems, hope this info is helpful as I know it was a very stressful experience for me.