Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Scallygally
Explorer

Thanks for the valuable information.  Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

Clivecheshire First of all, I had the same problem as you with on demand showing 'information unavailable'. I fixed mine but first you need to check if there is a problem with the home hub. It looks like you might be getting the 'smart setup' that home hub 5 displays when you connect a new device for the first time. It shouldn't be happening with connecting the TV but hub 5's can get a bit confused as well. When you were fault finding did you do anything to the home hub, like reset it etc? have you logged on to the hub to check its status? 192.168.1.254 on the top line of your browser.
Drew-tv
Explorer

Bought my kd49x83 on 6th December.  Finally threw in the towel yesterday and returned it to PCWorld and exchanged it for a Samsung.  The final straw for me was the email from Sony yesterday admitting stability issues but not promising a fix until the end of Feb.  That also seemed to be a clincher for PC World, who despite initially saying they wanted to power up the set and see the issues, just went ahead and issued a returns authorisation.  I was in and out of the store with a new tv in under 45 minutes.  Kudos to PCWorld!  (Although I feel for the people who may be purchasing one of the 50 or so boxed kdx sets that were stacked on the shop floor)

I am SO disappointed with Sony.  Google should be all over this.  Not only are Sony damaging their reputation but also that of android tv as well.

stillymanj
Explorer

I've just called Currys to return by 55x8509c but unable to as I'm 2 days over the 30 days! I'm going to go in store and speak to the manager. The chap on the phone was happy with my problems (tech guy) but couldn't help due to the above and referred me to Sony. Hopefully a chat with the store manager will help as I know other sufferers have returned ok. Any advice appreciated to help my case? Thanks Sent from my iPhone
elraouk

Easiest route has been to focus on missing features, I. E. That tv is not as described compared to your retailer's own advertising material.  Whether that is successful for you or not will obviously depend how you bought it (in store or on line) and the advertising (website / in store / employee advice).  A lot of retailers have caught up and changed their advertising now (e.g. John Lewis have stopped saying they have freesat for example) and adding the information about delayed features.  If you can't argue the not as described option, then not fit for purpose is another option, based on usability (or lack of).  If you say it's broken, then they'll want to repair it.  Getting authorisation in advance has worked for some, search back and you'll find the email address you need and also a template email! 

@frankie1g - you said

Don't keep this then mate. Sent from my Samsung device

You mean - don't keep my KDL-43W809CBU?

Has anyone else had issues with this model (or models that are of the same 'build').

I like the picture but the issues (though not killers) are a bit of a pain - and that is through simple use as I am not a user (yet) of such as Amazon or Netflix and haven't tried any app or catchup other than Youtube (fine) and iPlayer (seems fine)

I also now find that volume from TV through Sony HXT1 soundbox is limited.  Even with volume up full (at 50) it is not that loud - whilst at same level playing a Youtube vid it is blasting out.  

I'm just fed up.  Do all manufacturers TV have similar issues or is this just the new Sony Bravia range.  I'm now worried that I buy say a Samsung and discover that they have their own issues.

Mrs is pee'd off with me and says I should take it back on Boxing Day.

Phil_123
Explorer

As I mentioned above I returned mine after 4 months, and Currys did not argue about the return and gave a full refund. The set is now £100 cheaper then what I paid for it.

Legislation has changed recently with the Sales of Goods act. Please research your rights before returning items.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Don't let the retailer fob you off with messages like- 'it's up to Sony what happens'. They sold you the set, your contract is with the retailer NOT Sony.

I gave Sony one formal chance to fix the issue and they failed- so I qualified to get a refund. See the link above.

Get your issue logged with Sony- make sure you get an reference number for the fault.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@HenryHallsDanceBand wrote:

But I was persuaded not to return it by a guy who explained a lot about the issues Sony were having with these TVs and how they were resolving them.  He also told me that I was having 'smearing' problems with action (football specifically) because I was supplying the TV signal to the TV through coaxial - and coaxial won;t support 1080 HD.  I don't know if that is guff or not - but I accepted it because the picture quality from my Sony BluRay player connected by HDMI is indeed very good - and so his coaxial arguement stacked up and so went and bought (on his recommendation) a YouView box as that will resolve the coaxial problem and I should get a much improved HD picture.  Which I seem to be getting - but of course what I want to see I might see...

Putting aside for the moment problems I'm having switching between the YouView TV feed and the BluRay feed; and an alnalgue Sky Box feed - and struggling with multiple controls - including the one for my nice new Sony SoundBox HTXT1 (btw I've tried setting my YouView cobntrol for the TV with limited success)

Help

You bought a YouView box to go with a YouView TV?

The Curry's salesman's eyes must have widened with delight when you came through the door 🙂

Let's try to untangle this mess.

Firstly, I take it that you have a Sky box you are getting this football on, and you have this set up to put the output on to the coaxial cable that leads, eventually, to the TV, and so you watch this on the analogue side of the Sony TV, which has been tuned to whatever channel the Sky box puts analogue out on?

If so - or if that is what the salesman honestly thought you described - then he was quite right about the problem.

But he was so wrong about the solution that if he sold you the YouView box to be the solution here, then you have been very seriously mis-sold, and you should consider taking it back.

Even the oldest Sky boxes have SCART output, and these Sonys have a SCART input, so this is the least you should do - use a SCART cable, instead of the coaxial link, between the Sky box and the TV. SCART still won't quite be 1080 HD, but it will be a hell of a lot better than coax, to say nothing of easier to access, as the Sky box can grab the TV automatically when you turn it on.

More recent Sky boxes have HDMI outputs, but IIRC, these may have dropped the coax output, so I don't think you have one of these. But worth a look round the back of the Sky box, to see if it does have HDMI, and if so, use this instead of SCART for even better results - this can do 1080 HD, as well as grab the TV when you turn the Sky box on.

Now to this YouView box; it will not get Sky programmes, only broadcast. You can get some Sky over the internet with BT (and possibly TT, though I am not sure), but if either BT or TalkTalk Is your internet provider, then they will (nearly) give you a YouView box.

Most of what else the YouView box can do, the YouView on the Sony TV can do, except, currently, to record.

So if you were set on recording stuff, and you didn't want to wait however long for this to appear as a feature on the Sony TV, and your ISP is neither BT nor TT, and you didn't agree to buy the YouView box to fix your smearing issue and/or you knew it could not get Sky programmes, then enjoy!

But if not, take it back and demand a refund, as you were mis-sold. In fact, unless the salesman told you how to fix the Sky issue with the addition of a simple cable, as well as selling you the YouView box, you were definitely mis-sold.

But if you go back, to return the YouView box or just to buy a cable for the Sky box to TV link, don't let them see you coming again. If you have one, take a techy friend, or a Rottweiler. Or both. Both are good when dealing with Currys.

But if you have to go on your own, you do not want a Monster cable, at a monster price, you just want the cheapest HDMI cable that is labelled High Speed. Or if you need to use a SCART, just a half-decent one from their Sandstrom range, or similar.

Do keep us posted about how you get on!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
frankie1g

You view box for this TV shows that he knows the android don't work. Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Scallygally wrote:
How can you demand a refund when Currys point you in the direction of Sony? Sent from my Samsung device

You tell them that when you point the finger at someone else, you have three fingers pointing back at yourself.

Or less dramatically, that as the Sale of Goods Act and its recent replacement the Consumer Rights Act make crystal clear, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, and it is this contract that you are seeking redress under.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking