Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
bacarut
Explorer

Can anybody confirm that they are able to sign in to PlayStation Now or PlayStation Video on their 2015 Android TV.

On mine I either get a blank (white) screen with a short blue progress bar which never moves further or a partially loaded sign-in screen with 50% progress bar which, again, never moves. Restarting the TV doesn't help. Internet connection is fine. It's like it is looking for content which never loads or times out.

I don’t want to return my set as I got mine from a local independent retailer (who i`ve always supported and give great service)

They were kind enough to give me a good price on a humax PVR to cover for the mis-sold features on the Sony TV, but i`m still £200 down..

Still , it`s not a huge surprise the corporate giants care little about customers now, even Sony , given their total stance on ignoring this thread. The occasional community Sony volunteer isn’t the sort of response I expected from a `blue chip` company

Pretty poor , pretty sad for the brand.

I live in hope the March release works. If Sony even bother to read these posts it would be good to get some offical response, but i do understand you will be reluctant to face up to the issues, So , another 3 months it is with a sub standard product .

“Advertising and promotion alone will not sustain a bad product or a product that is not right for the times.” - Akio Morita Japanese businessman and co-founder of Sony

...wrote

You bought a YouView box to go with a YouView TV?

The Curry's salesman's eyes must have widened with delight when you came through the door 🙂

Let's try to untangle this mess.

Firstly, I take it that you have a Sky box you are getting this football on, and you have this set up to put the output on to the coaxial cable that leads, eventually, to the TV, and so you watch this on the analogue side of the Sony TV, which has been tuned to whatever channel the Sky box puts analogue out on?

Correct - the Sky HD box is in my fronbt room - and beside where by feed from the dish comes in.  I have a coaxial feed from the Sky box RF1 coasxial output to every room in the house.  My (poor) understanding is that the signal is amplied by a box in the loft (and blended with the terrestial signal - I think) from mwhich coaxial leads are taken to each room.

If so - or if that is what the salesman honestly thought you described - then he was quite right about the problem.

But he was so wrong about the solution that if he sold you the YouView box to be the solution here, then you have been very seriously mis-sold, and you should consider taking it back.

To be fair he did say that the use of the YouView box might improve things - the box packeting the coaxial signal and then suppling the better signal to the TV using an HDMI lead.  That's what I've done - to no huge discernable improvement.  He said just bring the box back if I didn't see any improvement - which I'll do if it is of no use to me if I replace my SOny with anotehr make.

Even the oldest Sky boxes have SCART output, and these Sonys have a SCART input, so this is the least you should do - use a SCART cable, instead of the coaxial link, between the Sky box and the TV. SCART still won't quite be 1080 HD, but it will be a hell of a lot better than coax, to say nothing of easier to access, as the Sky box can grab the TV automatically when you turn it on.

Really don't want to have another lead from front room to back room (where new TV will live).  But if that is the only solution.

More recent Sky boxes have HDMI outputs, but IIRC, these may have dropped the coax output, so I don't think you have one of these. But worth a look round the back of the Sky box, to see if it does have HDMI, and if so, use this instead of SCART for even better results - this can do 1080 HD, as well as grab the TV when you turn the Sky box on.

Got one HDMI output - I use it to provide Sky feed to TV in front room.  

Now to this YouView box; it will not get Sky programmes, only broadcast. You can get some Sky over the internet with BT (and possibly TT, though I am not sure), but if either BT or TalkTalk Is your internet provider, then they will (nearly) give you a YouView box.

I can get a not very good Sky feed in the new TV through Analogue Ch68 through the coaxial

Most of what else the YouView box can do, the YouView on the Sony TV can do, except, currently, to record.

So if you were set on recording stuff, and you didn't want to wait however long for this to appear as a feature on the Sony TV, and your ISP is neither BT nor TT, and you didn't agree to buy the YouView box to fix your smearing issue and/or you knew it could not get Sky programmes, then enjoy!

Not interested in recording in back room with new TV.  My internet provider is Sky.

But if not, take it back and demand a refund, as you were mis-sold. In fact, unless the salesman told you how to fix the Sky issue with the addition of a simple cable, as well as selling you the YouView box, you were definitely mis-sold.

See above - Salesman said it might not improve things so take it back if it didn't

But if you go back, to return the YouView box or just to buy a cable for the Sky box to TV link, don't let them see you coming again. If you have one, take a techy friend, or a Rottweiler. Or both. Both are good when dealing with Currys.

But if you have to go on your own, you do not want a Monster cable, at a monster price, you just want the cheapest HDMI cable that is labelled High Speed. Or if you need to use a SCART, just a half-decent one from their Sandstrom range, or similar.

Don;t know how I can get a second HDMI feed from my Sky Box - would leave me with putting in a SCART feed - and that will do my wife's head in.

Do keep us posted about how you get on

Many thanks - I've answered best I can in line.  

elraouk

If you want sky hd in more than one room, in hd quality, you either need multiple boxes (with sat cables to each location), or an hdmi distribution system (hdmi splitter and either long hdmi cable, or hdmi over cat 6 solution).  Have a look at hdanywhere site, they have a number of solutions. Lot cheaper trade!  Anyone 4k tv is going to struggle with a hd signal sent over coax
stillymanj
Explorer

After having this TV for just over the 30 day return policy with Curry's, bought Nov 22nd, they have agreed that I can return the TV with full refund. It seems that in store have more say than the customer service phone line, who said I had to take up my issues with Sony! Anyway, I will be returning the TV on Boxing Day or 27th. Any recommendations from anyone that has returned would be appreciated. It's a shame as the Sony's picture is very impressive, shame the OS behind it all is so poor! Cheers Sent from my iPhone
Scallygally
Explorer

I bought mine from the currys website in September. Probably not got a leg to stand on. Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Version 2645 software is now ready for download on Sony site so try it and report if your issues are fixed.

malcolm1962

@pajo100 wrote:

Version 2645 software is now ready for download on Sony site so try it and report if your issues are fixed.

Its for Europe only, not the UK.

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Put in my Model no and it says for UK only.???

elraouk

V2645 is what's on my UK TV... That's the 10th December firmware I think