Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@HenryHallsDanceBand wrote:

Firstly, I take it that you have a Sky box you are getting this football on, and you have this set up to put the output on to the coaxial cable that leads, eventually, to the TV, and so you watch this on the analogue side of the Sony TV, which has been tuned to whatever channel the Sky box puts analogue out on?

Correct - the Sky HD box is in my front room - and beside where by feed from the dish comes in.  I have a coaxial feed from the Sky box RF1 coaxial output to every room in the house.  My (poor) understanding is that the signal is amplified by a box in the loft (and blended with the terrestial signal - I think) from which coaxial leads are taken to each room.

RAB: That sounds correct.

If so - or if that is what the salesman honestly thought you described - then he was quite right about the problem.

But he was so wrong about the solution that if he sold you the YouView box to be the solution here, then you have been very seriously mis-sold, and you should consider taking it back.

To be fair he did say that the use of the YouView box might improve things - the box packeting the coaxial signal and then suppling the better signal to the TV using an HDMI lead.  That's what I've done - to no huge discernible improvement.  He said just bring the box back if I didn't see any improvement - which I'll do if it is of no use to me if I replace my Sony with another make.

RAB: Tommy rot. A YouView box can't even 'see' the Sky signal, because the signal is analogue, and YouView boxes only tune digital channels. Choose a specifically Sky channel, like Sky One, and then try to see it on the YouView box. You won't be able to.

Even the oldest Sky boxes have SCART output, and these Sonys have a SCART input, so this is the least you should do - use a SCART cable, instead of the coaxial link, between the Sky box and the TV. SCART still won't quite be 1080 HD, but it will be a hell of a lot better than coax, to say nothing of easier to access, as the Sky box can grab the TV automatically when you turn it on.

Really don't want to have another lead from front room to back room (where new TV will live).  But if that is the only solution.

RAB: Not knowing your domestic arrangements, I don't know why you don't have the new TV in the room where the Sky box is, and move the existing TV to the back room, Perhaps you have your reasons, but have you thought of this? A UHD box, given an RF signal at worse than SD resolution has to invent 15 screen pixels for every real pixel it is fed. At least. That's a tall order for an upscaler, which is why the picture is so bad,

More recent Sky boxes have HDMI outputs, but IIRC, these may have dropped the coax output, so I don't think you have one of these. But worth a look round the back of the Sky box, to see if it does have HDMI, and if so, use this instead of SCART for even better results - this can do 1080 HD, as well as grab the TV when you turn the Sky box on.

Got one HDMI output - I use it to provide Sky feed to TV in front room.  

RAB: Which probably gives very good results, yes?

Now to this YouView box; it will not get Sky programmes, only broadcast. You can get some Sky over the internet with BT (and possibly TT, though I am not sure), but if either BT or TalkTalk Is your internet provider, then they will (nearly) give you a YouView box.

I can get a not very good Sky feed in the new TV through Analogue Ch68 through the coaxial

RAB: Yes, see above about the 15:1 pixel invention task the TV has to carry out.

Most of what else the YouView box can do, the YouView on the Sony TV can do, except, currently, to record.

So if you were set on recording stuff, and you didn't want to wait however long for this to appear as a feature on the Sony TV, and your ISP is neither BT nor TT, and you didn't agree to buy the YouView box to fix your smearing issue and/or you knew it could not get Sky programmes, then enjoy!

Not interested in recording in back room with new TV.  My internet provider is Sky.

RAB: Take it back sooner rather than later, then. It can't do anything to rescue a decent Sky picture, and if you are not interested in recording, it has no value for you.

But if not, take it back and demand a refund, as you were mis-sold. In fact, unless the salesman told you how to fix the Sky issue with the addition of a simple cable, as well as selling you the YouView box, you were definitely mis-sold.

See above - Salesman said it might not improve things so take it back if it didn't

RAB: It is most alarming that he even suggested trying it. As above, it couldn't possibly help.

But if you go back, to return the YouView box or just to buy a cable for the Sky box to TV link, don't let them see you coming again. If you have one, take a techy friend, or a Rottweiler. Or both. Both are good when dealing with Currys.

But if you have to go on your own, you do not want a Monster cable, at a monster price, you just want the cheapest HDMI cable that is labelled High Speed. Or if you need to use a SCART, just a half-decent one from their Sandstrom range, or similar.

Don;t know how I can get a second HDMI feed from my Sky Box - would leave me with putting in a SCART feed - and that will do my wife's head in.

RAB: How, exactly? But to have two TVs at opposite ends of the house, and each having a quality signal from Sky, you are going to need two Sky boxes and a multiroom subscription, and that second box will need a separate satellite feed from your dish. Which Sky will wire for you as part of multiroom.

RAB: Or that eye-wateringly expensive cable system from HDAnywhere.

RAB: Or you could wait until next year for Sky's new system SkyQ which is going to use wireless repeaters to feed multiple TV sets, and sounds like just what you need, except we don't know what it will cost yet.

Do keep us posted about how you get on

Many thanks - I've answered best I can in line.  

RAB:Yes, thanks very clear. Have you thought about having the new TV where the Sky box is? Is there a good reason - size, you don't use that room very much, whatever - for not doing this? If Sky over RF is bearable on the other sets in the house,, it might be fine to move the existing TV and put the new TV in its place, where, over HDMI, it will only have to invent three out of every four pixels you see, which it is carefully optimised to do.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

That's definitely the version I got in UK on Dec 10th

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.

Many thanks  @Rab and others

Have you thought about having the new TV where the Sky box is? Is there a good reason - size, you don't use that room very much, whatever - for not doing this? If Sky over RF is bearable on the other sets in the house,, it might be fine to move the existing TV and put the new TV in its place, where, over HDMI, it will only have to invent three out of every four pixels you see, which it is carefully optimised to do.

The problems with having a 40 ir 43" TV in front room where the Sky Box is -  is that the exisiting 32" TV fits neatly into a fireplace alcove and my wife is OK with that - not too obtrusive and dominating in the room.  As a 40 or 43" TV would not fit in it would be much more obtrusive in a quite small room - as much as we watch our TVs (obvoiusly) it is not the most important thing in our life and my wife won;t have a big TV 'dominating'our front lounge.

And just on the YouView box.  The salesguy was clear that it wouldn't improve my Sky picture - nothing to do with Sky - but if I had any concerns over the quality of say BBC1HD through the coaxial then the YouView box might improve things. Now that I can compare - I don't think I do get any improvment using the YouView box for such as BBC1 HD - the picture is just fine,.

And so if I take on all that I have learned here abolut my Sky signal in the back room - I come down to some general niggles over the Sony TV - not so much picture quality related - but I do wonder why TV sound output through my Sony Soundbox is not as loud as I'd expect or what I get through YouTube and sound switch off is delayed after TV switch off.  And I have to ask myself whetehr I am should worry about all issues otehrs are having weith theese sets when I do not use the apps/functions etc that are causing otehrs the problem - though if and when we ditch Sky in the near future maybe I should concern myself about Amazon Prime.and Netflix issues - amongst the great swathe reported here

kevfarme

Ok folks.  It seems I may have given my tv the kiss of death by saying I was having very little trouble with it.  for the record I have a Sony 49X8005C smart tv.  I purchased this set on 26/112015.  It played up a couple of times previously (prior to today's hiccup) .  This problem being that I have sound but no picture.  My aerial is better than good having had an engineer out only 7 days ago to ensure the antennae was good.  When the tv worked it was fantastic.   A really nice picture.  But today is Xmas day.  My family and I have sat down to watch tv after our Xmas meal and... no picture at all.  There is sound.  I have tried unplugging the set but no joy.  To say I am angry on today of all days is rather understating things!

Add me to the list of people who are taking this set back to Curry's and they had better not try messing me about!!!

Lastly, can anybody suggest/recommend a similar specc'd alternative tv please?  Not LG and definitley not Samsung.  Panasonic maybe?  I want 4k ultra HD and would very much like woking HDD recording direct from the tv.

julianblack

Hi. As a matter of interest, why not LG? My LG replacement for the previous Sony KD-49X8305C just works. As a TV should. Sent from my iPhone
kevfarme

Once bitten twice shy....  Same as with Sony now.  My previous tv was an LG.  I used to love LG and alwasy got Lg monitors (computers) and then an LG tv.  Just after the 12 month warranty was over I ended up with the dreaded red speckles/snow all around the periphery which got worse and worse.  Ok, this was a 40" plasma and I know that this was a problem with a lot of manufacturers.  Mainly because those manufacturers used LG screens 😞  So, as I said to start with, once bitten twice shy.

I have to add to my previous post...  I have now tried a reset by completely unplugging the tv from the power.  It has done nothing.  I have sound but no picture.  Tomorrow this heap of rubbish goes back to Currys and they had better sort a refund/replacement straight away or the whole store will hear how angry I am!

I will also try to get compensation from Sony for the duplicate remote that I have purchased for this set.  It's only £10 but I don't hold out much hope.  I shall be reporting this whole sorry affair to BBC Watchdog.  Let's see if they are interested yet?

nigeldavey
Explorer

Have a look at the Panny TX-55CX700b. Many favourable reviews and even this a couple of days ago: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/tvs/1403351/best-tvs-to-buy-in-2015

I have one and am very impressed and I make videos for a living...so can recognise a good image.

julianblack

Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm lucky in that the TVs came from John Lewis and are provided with a five year warranty. The way this technology is going, five years is becoming the viable life of a TV -:( Until this Android TV fiasco I was a complete Sony disciple. Not anymore! I would have gone Samsung but having seen the picture quality of my in-laws curved 4K set (not good at all), I'm giving LG a chance. Sent from my iPhone
kevfarme

I have now tried resetting this pile of junk 3 times.  I've left it 2 minutes, 5 minutes and 10 minutes all unplugged completely.  Still no picture just sound.  I have no rattled off an e-mail to Currys detailing the problems I have had and demanding a return and full refund under their own agreed 30 day return guarantee.  Please note this 30 day return policy means nothing in law.  Anybody else in the same position as myself, and I suspect many hundreds if not thousands will be, do not be fobbed off if you wait for over the 30 days from 'Currys'.  If goods are not fit for purpose then you can still take them back even after the presumed 12 month guarantee.  In that extreme case you may need to get Trading Standards on your case but they should help.  The law in the UK actually states that an item should reasonably be expected to work properly for a 'reasonable' period of time.  For a television this could be construed as being possibly 3 or even 4 years without any 'major' repairs needing to be done.  In my case this does not apply as it is obviously a manufacturing fault.

I shall take a look at the Panasonic that has been mentioned, thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@kevfarme wrote:

Once bitten twice shy....  Same as with Sony now.  My previous tv was an LG.  I used to love LG and alwasy got Lg monitors (computers) and then an LG tv.  Just after the 12 month warranty was over I ended up with the dreaded red speckles/snow all around the periphery which got worse and worse.  Ok, this was a 40" plasma and I know that this was a problem with a lot of manufacturers.  Mainly because those manufacturers used LG screens 😞  So, as I said to start with, once bitten twice shy.

I have to add to my previous post...  I have now tried a reset by completely unplugging the tv from the power.  It has done nothing.  I have sound but no picture.  Tomorrow this heap of rubbish goes back to Currys and they had better sort a refund/replacement straight away or the whole store will hear how angry I am!

I will also try to get compensation from Sony for the duplicate remote that I have purchased for this set.  It's only £10 but I don't hold out much hope.  I shall be reporting this whole sorry affair to BBC Watchdog.  Let's see if they are interested yet?

The reset you get by pressing the On button on the remote until the set reboots may do better than unplugging it.

When there is no picture, do you get anything by pressing Home?

These sets have a Picture Off mode, which is reached from the Action Menu button; maybe this has been accidentally activated? So try pressing the Action Menu button and maybe, just maybe, the menu will come up and you can choose Picture again?

Re an alternative TV, I relegated the Sony back to the study a couple of days ago in favour of a Samsung, to avoid just such issues as you have just had.

So why not Samsung?

But if not Sony, Samsung or LG, that only leaves Panasonic in my opinion. Those four are the mainstream. The rest are clones, rebadgers, and a few high-end niche makers for London pads with three-level basements 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking