Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Just disable YouView as I did

Natajay
Explorer

@march83 wrote:

Think I've seen a couple of people mention this but last night I started getting the Screen Format: Full message popping up while watching sky and then today I can't restart by holding the power button on the remote for 10 seconds. The pictures keeps going jerky too while watching sky (which I was trying to restart). I imagine it will be fine after I pull the plug but really strange that a few people have had the exact same thing happen at the same time when it's the first time it's occurred. I've had the most recent update since it came out too so nothing to do with just applying that.

I'm having this exact same problem. Only had my 49X8309 3 days and it's starting acting up, it won't power down properly either sometimes and I still have sound after the screen has gone off.

seriously thinking of returning it to Currys tomorrow.

elraouk

I doubt disabling Youview will be the same as not having it. The code still exists and there could easily be running processes,  that have Youview specific code, when it's disabled.  Lot cleaner to have a firmware that just doesn't have that code at all.  However the main point of having firmware without it is that Youview seems to be what's delaying UK firmware updates, meaning we are behind with code fixes due to something we don't want. 
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

elraouk, would completely agree however its the second best choice and available at the moment.

As I stated earlier shut down is quicker with YouView disabled, that alone suggests that TV resources are being used by it as presumably the TV is waiting for it to close.

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

Hi guy's.... Call me stupid but how do you disable youview 

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L
profile.country.GB.title
timodell

Old topic (I'm sure) but can I just confirm that BBC iplayer (and probably all the catch-up aps) in the YouView menu is only SD even when the "highest" definition box is ticked in settings. Difficult to prove (because the "i" button gives no information on stream but the absence of 5.1 sound and general fuzziness seems fairly definitive. Also, no way I can see of starting current programme from start usung the You View guide  - have to exit all the way to the ap and then find the current live programme to do this (when the poorer picture/sound quality is obvious). Yet another reason to abandon this set...

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

@Pete4L wrote:

@nickbaker66 How to use apps on Sony Bravia TV

@Thanks @Pete4L  but video doesn't show how to disable the youview app 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@nickbaker66 wrote:

Hi guys.... Call me stupid but how do you disable youview 

If you have YouView enabled, but want to go back to plain old Freeview, then you go Home/Settings/Channel Settings/YouView Settings/Disable YouView.

To get rid of it completely, you can set an overseas Proxy or VPN IP address, or Smart DNS, and then look for a manual Software Update, whereupon the TV should update to the 247 EU-only software version; just like the current 245, pretty much, but without YouView. But there is currently no way back from this if it does not suit you.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

To disable YouView

On remote control press: Home, Settings, Channel Setup, YouView Setup and then disable

You will still get all the TV channels but without the trick YouView features, be interested to know how it works for you.