Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

This is not for X93 this thread is it? 

jain236

@darrenj11 this is the place for any sony bravia android TV s**t:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

bu theres no mention of X93 in all this, so I assume that you are having problems with the other range of models?

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

X85 is all anyone mentioned...

adyjay33

If its a 2015 model Android TV, then I suspect that all the models produced in 2015 with Android are affected.

Whats the problem with your model and are the issues the same as other models mentioned on here?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
jain236

i am here because of my X83. i have also seen few people complaining about higher end modes like yours

profile.country.GB.title
Teknixjack
Explorer

My X93 has all the issues others are mentioning so I think all android 2015 Sony Bravia TVs are affected
adyjay33

This was sent to me on a PM as the poster could not get it to work.

Thanks to Publiclyavailable for the information.

In reply to my post about what was said to Currys PA replied below to me.

To answer your point, I just kept a log of dates and events and presented the store with them. I reminded them of the new Consumer Rights Act which only came into force in October 2015 and reminded them of Currys' own policy, as I quoted in my post.  NOTE their polcy mentions that the product defect mus thave occurred during the first 30 days, not that you have to report it during the first 30 days!  This is quite useful since the CRA has a reporting limit of 30 days. Currys' seems to have no time limit on actually reporting, just as long as the fault happened within 30 days.  Por policy wording on their part but helpful to the rest of us.

If you want a decent summary of the CRA check this out. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/​consumer-rights-act

I went in to the store on at least 5 occasions to talk to the sales team and formed a "working relationship" with them there. I agreed to keep the set but reserved the right to return it if it didn't improve.  I got them to check things out with the Currys' Customer Service hideout and then asked them if they'd be kind enough forward me the key points of the reply and to confirm in writing that they agreed that I had the right to return the set.  This then meant I then had the email address of the local store so I then had a direct line in to use regularly. 

Feel free to post this in the forum because I can't get in to it at the moment.  Hope this is helpful.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mattstev

Now this could be the kiss of death but since having turned off youview I have not had any issues...

Now if they would just let me install the ITV and C4 players from the App store I would be happy.

The lack of response from Sony on twitter is amazing. Perhaps we need more people tweeting?

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

you presume, and thats why ive been following this thread. Yes the TV doesnt have HDD recording but I dont care, Yes its slow on Android but I hold out for updates, and yes the HD channels used to have voice sync issues but that has resolved since update.

The screen is stunning and the audio is great, so pending the sluggish Android TV, im overall very satisfied, and presume therefore that this does not impact X93 range.