Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
UKPiglet

You may be happy with your X93. I wish I was.

I have the X93, and I've had pretty much all the problems which have been described in this thread - from appaling lip sync to crashes and total system resets where all settings were lost. I've had picture without sound and sound with frozen picture. I've had it turning itself on after I turn off and I've had no response to the remote.

Response when it's working properly is sluggish - when compared to our other TV which is a couple of years old smart Samsung.

I've had the same program playing on the Samsung and the Sony X93, and on the Samsung the lip sync is perfect while on the Sony it's been about .25 of a second out from the picture.

Bored of typing. Will stop now. Back from holiday and have just seen that I've an email from JL agreeing to take it back.

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

@UKPiglet wrote:

You may be happy with your X93. I wish I was.

I have the X93, and I've had pretty much all the problems which have been described in this thread - from appaling lip sync to crashes and total system resets where all settings were lost. I've had picture without sound and sound with frozen picture. I've had it turning itself on after I turn off and I've had no response to the remote.

Response when it's working properly is sluggish - when compared to our other TV which is a couple of years old smart Samsung.

I've had the same program playing on the Samsung and the Sony X93, and on the Samsung the lip sync is perfect while on the Sony it's been about .25 of a second out from the picture.

Bored of typing. Will stop now. Back from holiday and have just seen that I've an email from JL agreeing to take it back.

OK so lip sync is solved for you now? on Latest version?

Other than that (on old firmware for about 2 weeks before the update) ive not had any of the other things.

Regarding a Samsung I bought for the kitchen, thats appauling that it takes 4 mins from Standby to be able to use any apps, and insists on doing a channel scan every start up, even though during setup it asks if you will use any input source or just as a display.

In both the Sony and the Samsung (wouldnt buy another) I wont take them back as in balance they work ok (samsung got a chromecast to overule the slow apps).

I was just trying to work out if this is a geniune thread ot not.

If mine had been faulty, I would just take it back to the shops, this doesnt seem a relevant thread to me, just a load of people that cannot be helped.

adyjay33

Darrenj11...you ask  "If this a genuine thread ot not"

??????

I really cant believe I just read that.

Do you work for Sony and have come on here to try and discredit the people that are complaining?

I do wonder sometimes, I really do.... but when I read a such a statement it makes me think you have not read any of the posts on here and have not bothered to research others posts properly.

Good luck with your X93 as it maybe you have the only one in the world that works perfectly using the Android system.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

Ive bought the TV, ive signed up to the forums, and ive been receiveing your replies for about a week or so, and trying to take an educated guess at wheather I should return the expensive tv or not.

And ive finally come to the conclusion, that this thread is just not relevant, 

I wont be returning the tv based on this thread as mine is just not apocalyptic  as you guys make out, so therefore I see that the thread in itself is not helpful.

Honestly, I just think that you are not helping yourself. Maybe serial complainers or something, i really dont want to be rude but I cant think of a nicer way to put it, its a moaners thread, and thats fine, but change the title.

adyjay33

Why change the title?

2015 (The year they came out) Bravia (Its a Sony Bravia) Android (The operating system it is running) TV (Well its a TV) Issues (I think that the problems people are having on here are Issues).

Suitable title I think.

Well I hope that you TV continues to be perfect and that no updates in the future screw it up or remove functionality of it, or even dont give what the TV advertised it could do e.g. HDD recording, PIP/PAP that are both missing, but were supposed to be added in Dec 2015, or that the TV reboots by itself, blah blah blah, moan moan moan.

But why not moan?

Mine was 1k, some paid more, some possibly less, but its 1k regardless and that a fair amount of money to expect a working TV at least without "Issues".

You can go back to your Sony masters and tell them so if you like, as I am sure thats where you work.

Wont be the first time and wont be the last time they have come on here spouting good things and saying we are all wrong.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

@darrenj11

You are obviously here for a reason, and that reason is you have issues with your TV which you are happy with.

If you are not happy with this thread you can always start your own specific model thread, where like minded people like yourself can comfort each other.

UKPiglet

@darrenj11 wrote:

OK so lip sync is solved for you now? on Latest version?

I was just trying to work out if this is a geniune thread ot not.

No. It's not sorted out. What would make you think that?

I smell a troll tbh

profile.country.IE.title
EggDublin

New Firmware for IE/EU just released. http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/KD-55X8509C

Twobins

Couldn't resist coming back for a quick visit to see if the Android issues have been resolved yet. Clearly they havent. With the greatest of respect I think many of you are being taken for a ride by Sony. They still aren't treating you, their paying customers very well. Clearly they had a problem with the TV android system but they released it to the market even though it wasnt ready to do the job. On the other hand everything that should work on my new Panasonic 802 series TV works as it should. Its easy to operate and the picture quality is excellent. My only gripe is Firefox OS needs the Plex app, and Kodi would be nice too, but thats all I have to compalin about.

To those of you thinking of returning your sets, my advice would be to do it and if its a Sony you really want, wait a few months for the 2016 models.

john.pringle

Adyjay why don't you return yours instead of coming on here and moaning Sent from my iPad