Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
adyjay33

Very simple answer... its got a great picture when it works...

However I am a more than happy to return it if they dont solve the issues in the next update, by that time the TV will be four months old and it maybe harder if they fail to solve the issues.

I actually like it but cant stand the fact that I feel like I have been misled into buying it by the promise of an update that never happened.

If you liked a car and just because the radio did not work properly and needed an update, would you reject you whole car?

I moan as its a pain when you watch somrthing only for the screen to go black or the TV reboot itself, its an operating system issue, I dont think its a hardware one, so if that is indeed the case it can be fixed, but waiting for that fix is totally unacceptable.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

John Pringle....

I'm thinking along those lines too about returning it for a later 2016 model.

I am on the verge...

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
john.pringle

Mine used to have blank screen with sound issues when turning to on next day quite regular but it's not done it for over a week . Picture is great though I'm slowly getting used to using apps like kodi and find that it's not behaving badly just the odd freeze when I'm impatient because I pressed the remote several times instead of waiting for it to load Overall I'm not suffering many of the problems that other posters are having when the next update is released if it cures all the bugs I'll be happy if it doesn't I'm happy enough as it is. Sent from my iPad
CeltaniC
Explorer

Yup Beta at best... this FW has not been quality tested at all before they released it.

kevfarme

@darrenj11 wrote:

Ive bought the TV, ive signed up to the forums, and ive been receiveing your replies for about a week or so, and trying to take an educated guess at wheather I should return the expensive tv or not.

And ive finally come to the conclusion, that this thread is just not relevant, 

I wont be returning the tv based on this thread as mine is just not apocalyptic  as you guys make out, so therefore I see that the thread in itself is not helpful.

Honestly, I just think that you are not helping yourself. Maybe serial complainers or something, i really dont want to be rude but I cant think of a nicer way to put it, its a moaners thread, and thats fine, but change the title.

Sir, you are nothing more or less than a troll.  The people on on this thread are owners or, in my case now an ex-owner, of very badly faulty Sony Bravia 2015 android tv sets.  You claim to have a good and working Sony tv set.  Fantastic, bully for you.  So why come onto this thread and try to belittle the rest of us?  You leave yourself wide open to claims of being a Sony 'plant' to try to discredit the other forum users.  We all see through the murk you are trying to spread :slight_smile:

walshy5050

I'm in currys now was told to bring my TV back no I here with it they telling me the updates have been sorted my ar#.

They trying to tell me had recording works the next update will sort the rest out.

I told them I'm not waiting 3 months having to reboot my TV 3 to 4 times a day and watching TV when the speech don't match the sound 

This is a joke 

elraouk

Tell them if they can record something to hdd on your set then you'll leave, if they can't then you want a full refund and a gift voucher to apologise for them lying to you!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@darrenj11 wrote:

Ive bought the TV, ive signed up to the forums, and ive been receiveing your replies for about a week or so, and trying to take an education d guess at wheather I should return the expensive tv or not.

And ive finally come to the conclusion, that this thread is just not relevant, 

I wont be returning the tv based on this thread as mine is just not apocalyptic  as you guys make out, so therefore I see that the thread in itself is not helpful.

Honestly, I just think that you are not helping yourself. Maybe serial complainers or something, i really dont want to be rude but I cant think of a nicer way to put it, its a moaners thread, and thats fine, but change the title.

Hi @darrenj11

Let's see how you feel when it bites you, as it surely will.

i am judging that you are neither a troll, nor a Sony plant (or you would be making a lot better job of it 🙂 ), just somebody who, as you say, has just bought one of these 2015 Sony Android sets, has turned idly to the Sony forums to see what people are saying about it, and maybe to get a few hints and tips - and has been simply gobsmacked to find a 416-page thread of wall to wall woes. Yes?

So now you have mixed emotions. You invested a lot in your decision, are rightly proud of the discernment that led you to your choice (since the retailers understandably tend to list the technical specs, not the negative comments), and you thought you got very good value for money.

But now this thread has all that in tatters, and you are understandably trying to salvage what you can. And you are in the first stage, Denial - 'No, surely it can't be that bad", "Well, mine doesn't do that", "Humph, they are all moaning Minnies", "Well, I never wanted to record anyway".

The reality? Sony released these sets far too early, woefully incomplete, and I would say that they are still madly scrambling to get them right; if that is, that I didn't think not implementing the year-late HDD recording before March 31st was more a case of 'mildly ambling' rather than 'madly scrambling'.

Can you live with them? Yes, just about, if you are a techie living on your own. But wishing one of these on your family is grounds for divorce in any jurisdiction.

I have in the past summarised these sets as for "masochists, optimists, and wannabe beta testers".

And though they improve slowly, I, like a lot of other people, worry about the implications of the upcoming 2016 sets. Sony are sticking with Android for 2016, we now know from CES, but if, as we suspect, they have realised that the 2015 hardware spec is just not man enough, then the more capable 2016 sets are going to make the 2015 sets look like Trabants in a world of Opels.

There's a word I can't use on here starting with 'cluster' to describe why this thread is 416 pages long and growing, and it's not to do with who is and isn't posting here.

But do stick around. We won't crow when you come dejectedly back with the tales of woe of whichever of the many indignities these sets are capable of visiting on you actually struck; we'll commiserate, help you fix or minimise the issue, or even advise you how best to send it back from whence it came. You choose 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
frankie1g

This is one odd post what you think moderators Sent from my Samsung device
Patrandec

I've posted a new thread as it's not really related to this one, but have all of our 4K's also just been made obsolete by the new 4K standard agreed at CES? If so, what impact could this have on Sony's willingness to support their 2015 models?