Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

Hello, this is my first post and I apologise if this has already been asked / answered but I couldn't find any way of searching the topic for specific words (like you can on other forums).

Anyway, my question is; has the Amazon Video app been fixed to ouput 5.1 surround sound when its being used on via the TV (as it does when used on PS4), my specific TV model is the W805C.

The issue used to be listed in the table on the folowing page: 

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

It was listed under the netflix entry (iirc), but doesn't appear to be there anymore.

Also, on the following page: 

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk-22-dec

It reads: "We aim to have Amazon Video support for 5.1 surround sound available in a future firmware update this year." under the entry of 12th October.

Is anyone aware of what's happening regarding a fix for this feature?

Thanks,

Simon.

dhanpal.panwar
Explorer

Hi folks, I have SKY HD+ at home. I am thinking about this TV for some time but only thing holding me back issues from this forum. I am skeptical but thought to ask you folks before I decide to go completely against this TV

How is the TV's preformance with SKY, Not sure my thinking but my take so far is that most of the issues reported are freeview or free-sat related? not sure if these issues are also applicable on SKY as well? Please share your experience, based on that will decide. Although already started looking LG, sammy.....etc

thanks in advance

DP

Brigante01

@dhanpal.panwar I'm using the 43X830 as a PC monitor and to be honest I can't fault it. I had some issues with interference over HDMI but turned out to be an issue with my cable. If you use it with a Sky box then I'm guessing your experience would be pretty similar.

Now I've never used it as a TV mind you so I can't comment on its performance in that regard but I've never had any crashes or had to reboot it like most other people on this board. Maybe I'm lucky I'm not sure.

elraouk

I use a 49X8305C with Sky HD and it works very well for that, had to adjust audio delay slightly on the sky box (smallest increment) and it's been working fine.  I've got Youview disabled, wifi and Bluetooth off, even have all the CEC (Bravia sync) controls off.  Basically everything is off that I can turn off. Only apps I have are plex and ES file Explorer and an ethernet connection to my network. 
bunkum100
Explorer

I got a 43w807c last week and I'm loving the tv but can get it to update the android software, I'm stuck on 2.343 no matter what I do. Updating over wifi it would get to 71% then stop with an error (2123 I think), this kept happening to tried over usb, again it would get to 71% but then go to the install screen (do not unplug illustration with circular arrow), then after a minute or so would restart but no update confirmation message and software is still stuck at 2.343. I've done a reset to factory settings with no joy, the update downloads to 40ish% now and then errors, and over usb is the same as before. 

Has as anyone else experienced anything similar and resolved it? I'll be returning it to Amazon on Wednesday if I can't get it sorted.

edit: I should perhaps add I just use it with external sources over hdmi and haven't set up any of the channels (no aerial connected) but none of that should make any difference to the software update should it?

MaxUHD

Hello All,

I have owned a KD49X8307CSU for about 2 months now and I found this thread a couple of days after I placed my order. I must admit that I almost cancelled my order on the strength of what I read here. However, What I had seen of the TV was pretty good, the picture was excellent and I quite liked the idea of a TV on which I could install android apps.

So I thought it over and decided to give the TV a go. The absence of HDD recording and the loss of satellite reception with YouView enabled wasn't a major factor with me as I use a separate FreeSat recorder. However, I absolutely agree that anyone who bought their TV with those features in mind certainly should have access to an alternative or a full refund.

For myself I must admit that I have used this set for about 2 months now and I'm mostly happy with it. The HD and UHD picture is stunning and I love that I have Kodi installed which runs smoothly and can see the content I want to play on my network.

In terms of bugs or glitches it has had an occasional bout of laginess which I cure with a reboot by holding down the power key on the remote. But only occasionally and I have not seen any of the lock-ups, freezes, not switching  on or off, sound with no picture etc documented in this thread.

I was wondering why I was not seeing the same issues; and certainly, from the descriptions given here, the software does seem to suffer from sporadic memory leak effects?  The only factors I can think of which may be relevant are that firstly I have only installed Kodi so far; keeping more memory available, and I always use the Back key to quit cleanly out of the other iplayer, YouTube apps etc so it has a chance to close down cleanly and maybe reduce the chance of memory fragmentation or memory leaks. I.E. I always use the Back key rather than just hit the Home key to jump back to the main screen.

What does everyone think? Could this be a factor as I'm certainly not seeing the majority

of the bugs I'm seeing described by others?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

bunkum100, If you Google Sony error 2123 you should see a Sony eSupport page stating error 2123 as an internet connectivity problem. You could check your internet speed is fast enough for the download, also if you are on BT broadband check in advanced settings under Smart Setup and make sure it's not enabled.
nik-007

I had exactly same issue, only difference was update was failing at 75% with same error code. Sony support as expected wasn't of much help. Then I tried 2 file method and that worked like charm. Sony Bravia Update Procedure • Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick • One of them with the original name • And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'. • Then connect the USB stick to USB port 2. • And then see if the update process will start as intended. Most likely TV will restart at % where it's failing but instead of going to home it will start the update which gonna take 25min approx. 

webvamsi666

Hi all,

Any Sony KD-55X8005C 55-Inch 4K UHD People here? 

This community is amazing i found so many solutions and I took a plunge to give my solutions here. It's hard to search for a solution for a particular TV in Sony community because search is ***** in this forums. 

So I decided to create this thread here > Sony KD-55X8005C Tips, issues and Bugs Thread.

Please feel free to add any issues and solutions here Thanks. These solutions may work for other models. 

Ok, It's been 2 months since i am on this thread and reading each reply. I had this TV for almost 2 months also this is my second TV as Amazon already replaced one (I still have time to return until 31st Jan for a full refund) so far I tested most PC related and all external inputs/outputs especially people who like DTS Dolby 5.1 sound may contact me for any doubts as I had enough tweaking to get best output of this TV.

The issues with this TV are not may from my side, I never test SKY or Youview or any tuners, as I don’t have at home. We recently moved if any one could comment on lip sync issues that would be really great for my conclusion. 

I am writing conclusion first because some people don’t want to read all the below info > I was in the impression that Samsung 55 4k 6800 or LG 680V model will be the best TV for my match and bug free, so I went to JL and Curry’s show room yesterday with my 128GB pen drive loaded with all the files I want to test. Basically i like to test Upscaling, Picture quality, Brightness and Blacks. As a software engineer i like to see my TV playing most of the file formats with different frame rate, image resolution with various codecs.

I have files for videos to test Upscaling and different formats weather those TV's able to play.  (SD / 720p 1080p, 4k res videos in .mkv .vob .ts . M2TS .FLV .Mpeg .YuV .mov .mp4, with H.264 Mpeg-4/AVC and HEVC 4k codecs)

I have videos which audio stream (DTS, DTS MA, DTS EX, DOLBY TruHD 7.2, ATMOS, Dolby 5.1, with ACC, AC3 & FLAC codecs) I also like to test Pass-through as i have AV receiver. 

So i took a chance and asked them if I can test TV some time before I buy.. The gave remote to me after couple of minutes of play I tried to install some external players on those TV's but I unable to install KODI! Any way I want to test with default player then I plugged my pen drive ash started opening one by one.

Below is my summary: :dizzy:

SAMSUNG 6800 >

+ its quick to open or load any file on default player. 

+ If it cant play then it will staring away show message saying file format cant support in Sony TV it will some times goes blank screen and we have to understand lol.

+ Picture brightness is high compare to my Sony.

+ Blacks are very slightly better.

+Very responsive no hanging or slow.

- The Upscaling is very bad especially SD and 720P videos in default player don’t know about any 3rd party players in SONY Upscaling is 100% better.  

- Menu system or layout is not as good as Android.

- No Audio pass-through as in Sony also I need to use KODI to select different Audio streams.

Both TV's (Sony & Samsung) cant handle .mov, 4k Mp4, 4k in .yuv, Dolby-TruHD. In Sony i have some tips mentioned below. May be Samsung might have 3rd party players to handle these. 

LG > I don’t have chance to plug my USB but by looking screen Definitely not better than Samsung but brightness may be similar to Sony and I love Sony Colours and Bravia engine compare to LG. Samsung will trick people by boosting colours to VIVID and those AMOLED screens of course I love those in Samsung lol. 

Conclusion: I can be happily live with my SONY with below bugs as i have few solutions for those hoping they will fix or I don’t even bother if they didn’t fix. I definitely don’t need USB recording i hate seeing TV serials recording and seeing it again and again lol its personal choice any way.. I love Sony “Picture quality” and “Upscaling”, this is MOST imp thing in TV’s. Audio is better in Sony's inbuilt speaker (for me i use AV receiver so i don’t bother) and i need Upscaling SD and 720P videos mainly as all my back home videos are SD. All TV's handle similar file formats and none of them will play actual 4k format videos smoothly. So i prefer Sony here as I have freedom to install many players especially KODI for Upscaling / 5.1 audio and VLC for most 4k videos. 

I also found Casting screens is most easy in SONY i can cast my webpage straight away in chrome PC/Mac instantly :slight_smile: and its ANDROID you can install most apk files via ES file explorer like CHROME love

The major issues are below (with updated firmware UK) :smileysweating::smileyquestion:

1. NEVER SHUTDOWN: TV never ever shut down (if you press power button for 3 to 5 sec) TV says shut down and it will turn on again This is for all Sony TV's especially this model i checked in Curry’s and John Lewis I can replicate this issue in Sony TV. SOLUTION> I will turn off to standby then i will either remove my USB external HDD or turn the mains off (NOTEthis is very important > if you leave the TV standby with any external HDD connected it will damage the external HDD because the USB power never stop and HDD will keep alive always and trys to off and on. I tested leaving TV for a while to see USB power will go off on standby mode! it never off.. UPDATE: I able to shutdown with latest update. 

2. NO SAFE REMOVE USB: For people who are thinking about SAFE Remove USB > This TV's don’t need one as there is no Write functionality. So assuming they never put Safe remove or unmount USB. I research Samsung and LG forums both models have no safe remove and form some articles I found it because of no Write we don’t need one. SOLUTION> Just close all the apps that are reading / playing from USB make sure you exit from KODI (by pressing power off button in KODI) close / exit from EX file explorer. If you open ALBUM this sucks it keep on reading the USB and try’s to show thumbnails so never open ALBUM app when you have lots of data in HDD, so FORCE STOP ALBUM app. then close your eyes lol pull the usb. i know this is a bit some time if you don’t have much data of if you don’t paly your videos from HDD on various players then its ok to pull straight from TV :smileyplus: 

Also don’t worry if you have warranty for External HDD and it has only videos and no important data then pull off whenever you want. Above solution is for people who had some high TB's of storage like me. 

3. TV SCREEN FLICKER UP ON TRYING TO SHUTDOWN.: some times when you press and hold power button in TV, TV screen will flicker meaning off and on off and on off and on then it will turn off standby not shut down. This is happening occasionally reason is if you are trying to shutdown TV while playing any videos this mostly happen. SOLUTION> Release the button when you see this behaviour then press HOME button on remote to come home then try to shut down. As i mention this mostly happening when TV is busy playing something if its in HOME menu it’s not gona happen mostly. 

4. TV Hangs or SLOW issues:

4.1) TV is very slow some times and blank screen: When you have lots of data in any external drive the default app ALBUM / Video apps struggle to cache those data. Basically its will take time to show Thumbnails, and some times crash and wont respond and you need a restart. SOLUTION 1> (Always use ES file explorer and try to open what ever the video file, from that and you have the great ability to choose what app/player you want to open with (LOVE ANDROID HERE lol ) SOLUTION 2> Try to clear App cache from App settings like once a week. 

4.2) TV hangs with out UBS plugged in: if you open many apps continuously one after other then this TV has limited memory and there are definitely some memory leaks on the apps basic android issues. SOLUTION > you need to restart TV, or force quit applications some times work. 

4.3) TV hangs if i press Discovery or Action menu while playing some videos. This is because if you use TV for a while ot open lots of apps the memory in the TV cant release or it will not be free and results in making slow. I found this by observing memory in KODI system information page. There it shows how much RAM left on our Sony TV. So each time i found open some app and goes back to check is memory free or consuming memory. I found default Apps like Youview and ALBUM would take more memory. SOLUTION> if TV hangs when you press Action or Discovery menu try not to keep on pressing more buttons try to handle slowly for example in Action menu if you want select picture try to click slowly, one after other with one or 2 sec gap, then TV wont crash or you can simple come our and close all apps or a reboot. I don’t know if that will fix soon i explained this to SONY engineer.

5. NO DTS 5.1 output via OPTICAL: I found TV deliver superb Dolby 5.1 always but some times it will not able to deliver DTS via optical when playing on KODI, this is not a bug in KODI as I tried different versions of KODI. AV receiver says no audio when you play DTS videos. SOLUTION> it took me a month to investigate the issue. I almost changed my AV receiver thinking it was faulty and changed many cables lol. It’s the issue with TV. TV looses the ability of passing DTS via optical sometimes. To be get back I simply turn on my Sony Blu-ray player and select TV to different input ex: HDMI-2 than I will go back to normal then this DTS output works don’t know why but this works. Strange maybe I need more time to figure out :clock: 

6. Typing in search is horrible sometimes ex: YouTube makes difficult with Android App or any external keyboard. I found some times when we type in Android app the characters will miss and even with key board I cant type in some scenarios ex: in Opera browser i cant use my wireless keyboard. Its frustration to use Opera browser and its the ***** web browser i ever use.. Hope will see chrome soon on Android TV's, even NVDIA Shield don’t have chrome 😞 SOLUTION> Just remove entire string and retype. Solution by Sony lol 

7. APPS MISSING from HOME SCREEN: I notice some times Apps missing from home screen apps section, also if i install apps not from TV play store ex: i installed Chrome and this will not show in TV i believe the Icon.png file has different size for chrome, but the apps will be in TV and SOLUTION> even though the apps some times missing on home screen we can access all of them via ES file explorer. Go to ES file explorer > on top click on USER apps magic you can see all your installed apps there you even uninstall from there. Chrome and Dolphin browsers I will open from there. TIP for ES file explorer I always use my keyboard mouse its easy to click than remote. 

I chased Sony many times one of the Sony engineer asked me to replicate issues and i explained them in lots of emails the really trying to solve but thing its their bad choosing un matured Android OS and they failed to test all possible bugs and critical scenarios. My understanding is they cant spend any more time to fix old sets and may be they will release 2 or 3 more versions of firmware as they are afraid if it may become worse if they try to fix. so i don’t have hope in them they better not to crash existing futures. 

I request 55X8005C owners to add more isuue and solutions in the new thread please. i can answer and help on my setup if nay one intrested. 

Tips and best apps:trophy:

1. Best players so far : KODI & VLC (Kodi upscaling is better compare to default videp player)

2. Always better to use ES explorer to browse data in HDD

3. Please remove your USB or turn off TV mains in the night for saftey

4. Always use PCM digital out in audio settings for people who use 5.1. As Auto 1 and Auto 2 are compressed formates.  

5. Always Turn Light sensor OFF, this will gives you best picture quality and you can handle brightness / contrast and blacks. If you turn on, it will not olny reduces the brightness, it will also mess with most of the settings to optimize in low light. Better not to use this ***** option. 

6. Turn off bluetooth if you are not using, as Android com.bluetooth function keeps aliive in background 

7. If you want to use Voice search simple solution is use Remote control App in play store and from mobile its easy to send voice commands and also to type in youtube search.

8. For typing in search or easy of use, I use Android app & my Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400. Its a must gadget for this Sony or any smart TV's. Mouse pointer is awesome in Android TV's using track pad in my logitech its easy to point and click any app. 

9. Turn off WIFI if you use Lan

10. New UPDATE: Download apk files (not every android file lol) from apkmirror like chrome and then load it to pen drive then install via ES explorer. I think you can also do this or download direct in to TV by ES explorer. I installed Dolphin browser initially it starts in portrait mode don’t worry it will turn to landscape soon :slight_smile: and this browser is AMAZING best alternative to OPERA i can play all YouTube videos and FLASH content. 

There are some more tips for people who use Gaming please ping me i will list out if you need help on setting this TV for games. This is all my personal experience by spending lots if time on articles forums and YouTube. Hope this will help some one... I will also keep update/add issues in main post. 

Finally the price I paid in Amazon deal is AWESOME for this TV not sure people who paid premium amount may definitely feel bad and frustrated. I understand, for them I think Samsung is better choice. And hardware & build quality is amazing, only software is buggy, i think Sony need to tweak asap. 

Again I never test SKY or Youview or any tuners in depth, as I don’t have at my home. if any one could comment on lip sync issues or any other that would be really great for my conclusion. 

When I moved IOS to Android and when I bought my first Android mobile I feel the same ***** as like this. Its buggy and it crashed always slow... lol sweet memories, but now I cant go back to IOS. I hope these issues will improve slowly.. I definitely support Android than WEBOS or TIZEN, only lacking here is stability and memory leaks soon developers will fix... or I will be happy with some hacks... 

You can find Sony list of new features and release dates: here - List of release dates If the page shows error please click again. (sometimes it happens) 

Thank you Happy Sony TV :nauseated_face:

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@MaxUHD

Hi

Yes you are right. I do have some of these issues sometimes just as you have said only when you move around too fast. Even I have installed only Kodi and nothing else to ensure that there is sufficient memory.

the only gripe is HDD recording.