Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

Sorry, but not one of those Samsung models in the comparison list spot PVR capabilities (AFAIK it's only from JU7000 onward)... so it's not a problem anymore if it's not yet implemented on Sony.....

Try this lot.... I don't know why the 7500 is cheaper than the 7000, maybe they can't shift curved sets,,,,

But quite a price premium on the Sony, though you do get 3D, should @baz4096 want that.

But I don't know what's important to him, after all.

Bears out my point that it is hard to get the features of the Sony at that price point, though maybe LG or Panasonic could manage it, if they have all the Players.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
baz4096

Thanks @rooobb

I'm looking at the UE48JU7500, although seeing if JL will price match against against SuperFi selling the same model for £850

EDIT: JL Have agreed to price match, looks like I'll be ordering a Samsung 48" UE48JU7500. Let's hope it functions better than the Sony... shouldn't be difficult :slight_smile:

Baz

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

With regard to swapping out my TV at John Lewis, as agreed by them, I have a problem. I have the HD version and nothing can be found with the features as advertised by Sony for the same price. I don't wish to have to add more money to get something with fewer features. So both I and John Lewis are waiting for the February fix. If it resolves the issues I have, then I will be very happy and will say so here. I feel sorry for those who may have paid 3 times what I did for the same list of problems and understand why they are rushing to swap out. 

Has anyone else noticed, that the 2016 models' specs. do not mention HDD recording or PAP. I hope this is not an indication what the fixed 2015 models will have.

SONY, please do not let us down this time.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@baz4096 wrote:

Thanks @rooobb

I'm looking at the UE48JU7500, although seeing if JL will price match against against SuperFi selling the same model for £850

EDIT: JL Have agreed to price match, looks like I'll be ordering a Samsung 48" UE48JU7500. Let's hope it functions better than the Sony... shouldn't be difficult :slight_smile:

Baz

£850?

i see only this, a tad more than JL's £995. But I do also see Crampton & Moore at £879, albeit another £79 got the five year guarantee, but still cheaper than JL.

Where did you get £850 from? That's what Superfi want for the 7000.

Which JL, and Crampton & Moore,  have for more than the 7500.

But if JL are matching £850 for the 7000 or the 7500, pull their arm off 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
baz4096

@royabrown Drat, I meant the 7000, spent too long looking at obscure model numbers. JL are pricematching the UE48JU7000 at £850 NOT the UE48JU7500.

Long day...

profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

@Merlins_Apprentice wrote:

My Sony is also has begun turning itself on after last update  PKG3.169.010EUB for KD-55X8505C

Did it three times this night, begun after about 8 hours after i turned it off! First three times i just put it back on standby, the fourth time i hit the contact on the wall.. Sony FIX this.... 😞 

Glad you brought this up my set KD-55X8509C with firmware PKG2.647.0052EUB also turns itself on during the night. I've leart to turn it back off using the mobile App without actually getting out of bed but still annoying.

dazworld

Having had issues of my 49x8309 set since day one (when I purchasing in September), as well as the set not having/and still not having the features Sony, and the retailers have said it has (the features prompted me to purchase the set), I have this week:

- written a lengthy letter to Sony. I’ve included details of about 35 issues I've noted during the past few months. Also, noting the fact of mis-leading features - promised firstly 'by Summer 2015', then a message 'within 2015' and this message is now 'by 31 March 2016'.  Sony technical support received my letter and I was given an extremely lengthy reset procedure list. Following the list; the extensive problems continue. I am escalating my letter to Sony complaints.

- I popped into my Currys store (where I purchased the set). The salesman provided me with 2 things: 1) questioned me whether I’d set-up the set correctly as to why HDD recording wasn’t on the set and continued '..have you tried going into settings; doing this....etc. etc.' 2) he hadn't any Sony 2015 models returned (I doubt this because of the large number 100,000+ views on these forums).  So, Currys are still mis-leading customers - 5 months on. What hurts was the 55x83 Sony set Currys had was in their premium spot gaining the most footfall with it being seen by anyone entering the TV area of Currys.  

I won’t upload my complaint letter on this forum just yet; I'll wait for their response.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Well...  That's mine gone! 

Sony themselves agreed to replace my 49" set (at my request) with a new 55" X90B 'Android free' set from the 2014 range ...  I'm about 1/2 way through setup. The bloke came, picked up my old set, helped fit the hooks for my wall bracket and get the set up on the wall...

Straight out of the box the picture is superb - in fact I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's slightly superior to the Android set (which was excellent); although that did take a lot of adjustment.  Not run any test signals through it, but I wouldn't imagine any significant adjustment is needed. And I notice that it can be viewed happily from much shallower angles!

Although I don't use the internal speakers I did have to last night as I'd disconnected the old set from the rest of my system... It sounded dreadful! On the other hand the new set sounds pretty acceptable. 

- My new set even came with 3d glasses and the 2nd remote control. - moot points but they do sweeten the deal.

I'll fine tune it all over the weekend; but I seem to have been transported from a world of pain!  - My blood pressure is falling by the second! 

julianblack

Hi Caledonian_TV.

Glad to hear that your situation has been resolved. I know two people with 2014 Sony models that they are very happy with. Without actually experiencing the 2015 range of Sony crap directly they just don't believe me when I describe the fundamental flaws we have all had to deal with in this forum. They are like I used to be before buying a Sony Android TV, still believers that Sony represents quality. I'm going to be really interested to see how the 2016 models pan out. But only in an academic way - I'm very happy being forced to change brands to LG.

Sent from my iPad
Shodney

Starting to see reports that Sony are using a quad core CPU in the 2016 models (MediaTek MT5596) with a much stronger GPU.

Guess they realised a dual core, weak GPU combo aint gonna cut it after all.

Also seeing that the 2016 models demoed at CES were running a preview of Android TV 6, which was much smoother and responsive. How much of this is down to software improvements vs the better SOC we won't know until we get the update.