Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

TheVoice wrote:

Problem there is that then I'm stuck without a TV while it's being repaired or replaced! I'll speak to Sony on Monday but unless they're going to replace it with a brand new one (third time lucky?) I'll have to persuade Amazon to take it back instead.

I'm somewhat alarmed that Sony themselves have not picked up on posts of this nature! Sony; this is a SAFETY issue and is proof positive that you really NEED legitimate engineering staff running these forums!

@TheVoice Actually, the problem you have at the moment is you have a TV set in your house, the power supply of which is showing the possible symptoms of internal arcing.  - That is to say its generating sparks.  Components in there may be overheating or otherwise ready to fail.This may be minor and a mere annoyance, but as we're dealing with a mains power supply it may not! - From whatever way it's looked at the condition isn't normal and the set is faulty. 

Of course no-one can say for certain what the fault is until the set has been properly examined (which is rather the point). And we might reasonably hope it will  'fail safe' in which case your few days without a TV will be inevitable but merely frustrating. 

...But (and I fully realise that this may not be what you 'want' to hear and is inconvenient) no-one with any legitimate knowledge of electrics, electronics - or for that matter fire prevention - would advise that you continue to run an electrical appliance in your home which is showing signs of a serious power supply fault!  - At the very least; for god's sake don't leave it plugged in unattended!

profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

The power supply itself is external, I've no idea what component is actually at fault.

In any case, I'm here all day today so if it does decide to combust at least I'll be here to watch it burn.

TheVoice

I just want a working TV without any faults or niggles, at this point I don't care what brand it is! :slight_smile:

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@TheVoice wrote:

The power supply itself is external, I've no idea what component is actually at fault.

In any case, I'm here all day today so if it does decide to combust at least I'll be here to watch it burn.

That's unusual for such large set...  However; you're quite right, you have no idea what component is at fault; neither do I. And whilst we might consider an LT supply far less dangerous there will still be circuits inside the set that regulate and distribute power to the rest of the set some of which might be operating at relatively high current.

@According to the set's specs the power supply is 19.5v @ 110W  - Which means it's supplying a little under 6A of current... More than enough to be dangerous.

For your neighbour's sake at least, I hope pyrotechnics aren't on the cards....

FWIW when Sony exchanged my set on Friday it was a swap-around; I wasn't left without a set...  In these particular circumstances your set is potentially dangerous and shouldn't be returned. - So get their feet to the fire! ( preferably not one fuelled by you TV set!)

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@TheVoice wrote:

I just want a working TV without any faults or niggles, at this point I don't care what brand it is! :slight_smile:

Honestly?  - Send it back!  These sets are just NEVER going to work as intended.  They don't even work reliably as a basic telly.  When I rejected mine as 'unfit for [that] purpose' I asked for a non-android set with some compensating features - in my case I got a larger screen.  Eventually I suspect Sony will need to start exchanging them for 2016 sets...

But if some of them are now sitting there fizzing and popping well... 

If you want the problem sorted and sorted now reject it as defective/unfit for purpose/potentially dangerous and pick another set...  As others have noted, Samsung seem good contenders.  - As luck would have it I was in Curry's/PC world in Livingston yesterday. Took a walk around the TV section.  The KD49X8305 on the floor (the model I just had picked up on Friday) was sitting 'frozen'...  Another one from the range went flaky and started rebooting itself as was looking around. 

- The Samsung range looks pretty good. Even under shop conditions they're very strong contenders against the Sonys. ... And none of them were dead or dying! 

bunkum100
Explorer

I had exactly same issue, only difference was update was failing at 75% with same error code. Sony support as expected wasn't of much help. Then I tried 2 file method and that worked like charm. Sony Bravia Update Procedure • Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick • One of them with the original name • And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'. • Then connect the USB stick to USB port 2. • And then see if the update process will start as intended. Most likely TV will restart at % where it's failing but instead of going to home it will start the update which gonna take 25min approx. 

This solution finally worked for me last night, I tried a different thumb drive and finally it updated. Hopefully come the next update it will "just work" (who am I kidding). Many thanks again nik-007

Don't forget, Samsung used to supply Sony with screens! Not sure if they still do but they do know how to build them.

Right, that's me off to watch my Samsung again.  Still working like a charm..  🙂

I'm unsubscribing today.

Cheers all

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

New problem for me on my 49x8307CBU, the inrernet link via wifi keeps dropping in and out every few seconds!

When I check for wifi in settings it is sometimes still shown connected and at other times not regardless of what the pop up message indicates.

Either way this is now very irritating. Have carried out power downs, re cycle but all to no avail, it is still connecting and disconnecting at will.

Have checked my BT wifi equipment and this is all fine, no other devices having a problem just this damn tv!

Not sure if it is connected but also having issues connecting to the tv players, mainly ITV and 4, have to go to the wifi and check it is connected before returning to the app and it then seems to work for a while. Have had them drop out after a few minutes - no message of wifi being lost or anything, perplexed!

JL engineer coming on Wednesday morning to look at this - my second tv since last September - first one had a screen problem so was swapped.

Not sure what will happen this time with all these ongoing issues with the features.....................

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@ricsmith5 did you check if your router is working on channel 1,6 or 11? If not try one of them and see if the connection become stable.

TheVoice

Phoned Sony UK support earlier, described the issue, they agreed it sounds like an electrical fault meaning the case needs to be escalated to another team who would call me back within an hour.

That was two hours ago. So rude and frustrating when businesses do this.